cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Birdsong10us was planning to stay in Fort Myers in storm

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I hope they changed plans and got out prior to landfall. From all news reports Fort Myers was just about ground zero. With the storm surge and class 4 winds it is unlikely a class C provided much protection.

If anyone knows anything about the member let us all know.
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like 30 people died most of them drowning and many were senior citizens.
Itโ€™s proof that not all people are smart enough or have enough of their faculties to get out of the way of a very slow moving train.
And itโ€™s not just the elderly or indigent. Itโ€™s just human nature.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I hope they got away as well. In the post about riding it out, I couldn't really understand why he said he couldn't leave, with it being around 48 hours before landfall.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
There is a very popular RV park called Red Coconut on Fort Myers Beach. Has anyone heard how they fared?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:

A quick post Ian update from Fort Myers, FL:

Looking out the window (downtown Fort Myers), looks like about half the boats in Old Bridge Marina at the north end of the Edison bridge are sunk.

Can't see the Fort Myers Municipal Marina from here, but they should have faired better, as the highest winds were from their shore/no fetch.

Top picture and next to last picture is the marina right across the Caloosahatchee River from us (mentioned above). Looks like my estimate of number of boats damages was way low.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/stunning-photos-show-hurricane-ian-s-destructive-afterm...

Legacy Harbor Marina near downtown Fort Myers faired even worse.

But, the good news-- our Bald Eagle with nest on the north side of the river flew by a few minutes ago-- probably looking for confused fish.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hearing the worse storm in over a 100 years. Terrible.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, sure hope they got out before Ian came a visiting.

A quick post Ian update from Fort Myers, FL:

Looking out the window (downtown Fort Myers), looks like about half the boats in Old Bridge Marina at the north end of the Edison bridge are sunk.

Can't see the Fort Myers Municipal Marina from here, but they should have faired better, as the highest winds were from their shore/no fetch.

Homes in many areas of Fort Myers had 4+' of water in them from the tide surge. There is a 25' fishing boat is washed up on First Street.

The bridge over to Sanibel Island is missing a span of over 100 yards (according to local TV station who had film from that location) so no vehicle access on and off Sanibel or Captiva-- probably for a long time.

The TV station across the street recorded winds over 100 MPH.

It ain't pretty!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I hope they are alright as well.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton