Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding electric heat element to gas water heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Adding electric heat element to gas water heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/29/22 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is also a 10 gallon version

I would use several layers of plumber's tape..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Valterra-6-Gal-HR6-Hott-Rod-Conversion-Kit-DGR6VP/309717523


Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/22 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teflon or plumbers tape is used to make a good seal. It will not slow corrosion.

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/22 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

Teflon or plumbers tape is used to make a good seal. It will not slow corrosion.


That's right, put Teflon tape on some threads, insert the threaded connection and then remove. Look at the condition of the Teflon, what there is left of it.

Also I suspect that the heating element need to make an electrical connection via the threaded nipple.

The magnesium anode is the best plan but be warned it may need to be replaced in a short time period, months maybe not years.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/22 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

Teflon or plumbers tape is used to make a good seal. It will not slow corrosion.


That's right, put Teflon tape on some threads, insert the threaded connection and then remove. Look at the condition of the Teflon, what there is left of it.

Also I suspect that the heating element need to make an electrical connection via the threaded nipple.

The magnesium anode is the best plan but be warned it may need to be replaced in a short time period, months maybe not years.


120 Elements need NO connection for the threads. The 120 element is standard HOT and NEUTRAL. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/22 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He states Aluminum tank, That means he has an ATWOOD heater. Atwood Heaters have NO Anode rod at all. They are NOT needed on the Aluminum tank. Only Suburban Water heaters have and require the Anode rod. If you install a HOT ROD on a ATWOOD tank, it would be best to remove the element every 6 months or so, to prevent galling and also to drain the Water heater. Installing a HOT ROD eliminates the drain system on the ATWOOD water heater. Galling should not happen in 6 months or less, so keeping the threads free is a good idea. Doug

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/22 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

He states Aluminum tank, That means he has an ATWOOD heater. Atwood Heaters have NO Anode rod at all. They are NOT needed on the Aluminum tank. Only Suburban Water heaters have and require the Anode rod. If you install a HOT ROD on a ATWOOD tank, it would be best to remove the element every 6 months or so, to prevent galling and also to drain the Water heater. Installing a HOT ROD eliminates the drain system on the ATWOOD water heater. Galling should not happen in 6 months or less, so keeping the threads free is a good idea. Doug


Thank you.
The keyboard plumbers here aren't any better than the keyboard mechanics...


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TurnThePage

North ID

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug!


2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Adding electric heat element to gas water heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.