cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacking/Lifting Trailer for Wheel Bearing/Brake Service?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello-

Preparing to complete bearing service in the next few days.
Read owner's manual and it states, "Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger."

I've also red of others using bottle jacks directly under axle U bolt shackles; perhaps their owner's manual suggested this.

When jacking, I would chock opposing wheels and may even attach tow vehicle for added support.

I have a tandem axle leaf spring set up, with an equalizer between each set of springs.
4400# AL-KO axles. My axles are BELOW leaf springs.

My frame has an underbelly cover and the frame is not completely exposed, (about an inch is exposed on outside edge), and rear axle hangers are several inches in front and about 15" at rear of where I could jack at frame (due to obstructions one frame).

Are there other SAFE options?

NOTE: The trailer will have to be lifted and supported for a few days while I work on bearings/brakes; one side at a time.

Also, where should jack stand be placed? This is not mentioned in owners manual.

What about those plastic wedge aids that you drive trailer onto? I've read mixed reviews about their ability to raise adjacent wheel off ground high enough to remove a flat tire. Read that they are only good for torsion axles and NOT for spring axles.

I can also make set of wood wedges using cut sections of 2"x6" that would work the same way as the plastic ones....but this may not work since the plastic ones appear not made for leaf spring axles.

Also, found this.... Bottle Jack Buddy

My jacking goal is to jack up at home and on road safely. Jacking would be for... changing a flat tire, servicing bearings and brakes, or performing other axle/spring work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
27 REPLIES 27

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja Man wrote:
Well, the Trailer Aid Plus worked great! Tried it for front and rear wheels; it lifted each wheel about 1"-2". Real happy about this!!

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. If it weren't for some of you with real world experience using the TAP on leaf spring axles, I probably wouldn't have tried it. Glad I did!

Now on to bearing and brake service....

I kinda like that idea too!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the Trailer Aid Plus worked great! Tried it for front and rear wheels; it lifted each wheel about 1"-2". Real happy about this!!

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. If it weren't for some of you with real world experience using the TAP on leaf spring axles, I probably wouldn't have tried it. Glad I did!

Now on to bearing and brake service....

Equal-i-zer 10K

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a bottle jack right between the u-bolts. The place a jack stand under the axle close to the bottle jack. I usually like to be able to remove the bottle jack at some point so I can adjust the brakes when I'm putting the drum back on...hence, I want the jack stand just far enough away from the backing plate so I can get a tool or two into the back side of the backing plate.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use the bottle jack at home, where my FW has it's own concrete pad, next to driveway. If I'm going to pull the hubs, that is best choice.

To adjust brakes, or just using EZ-lube to grease, staying hooked up, using the TA-Plus is the bomb! Gets things done quickly, and nothing in way for brake adjusting.

I changed one flat, on side of interstate, with truck traffic, using the TA-Plus. It paid for itself right there!! Job done quickly, and out of harms way in 20 minutes. No issue lifting flat tire.

I read one review, stating the TA-P would not work. Always a nay sayer for everything! I could see a possible issue, if a tandam axle, and the wheels being WIDE spread??

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Baja Man wrote:
MFL wrote:
No need to lift a bunch on frame. You only need to lift axle an inch, with a bottle jack, or floor jack.

I have a 2x4 piece of oak, about 8"s long, with a da-do in center, that just cups a U-bolt. This works great at home, using a bottle jack under it.

I also use my Trailer-Aid plus, which will lift front or rear tire high enough.
Using some boards cut and stacked will work too, best if on solid surface.

Hooking to vehicle is a good choice, adding stability!

Jerry

Do you have a pic of the wood piece you use with bottle jack?

Thanks

Here you go!

Nutin fancy, just a heavy block, full two inches thick, that can be placed under either U-bolt.

Jerry, thanks for the pic. Really explains how the groove would sit over the u bolt.

When do you use the block and bottle jack method vs the Trailer Aid Plus method? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

BTW....did you also read where the Trailer Aid Plus only worked on torsion axles?

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Baja Man wrote:
MFL wrote:
No need to lift a bunch on frame. You only need to lift axle an inch, with a bottle jack, or floor jack.

I have a 2x4 piece of oak, about 8"s long, with a da-do in center, that just cups a U-bolt. This works great at home, using a bottle jack under it.

Jerry

Thanks

Here you go!

Nutin fancy, just a heavy block, full two inches thick, that can be placed under either U-bolt.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Baja Man wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Hitch up , pull up on blocks , work on the two axles that are off the ground , repeat for next set of axles .

Rolling up on blocks would be same as the Trailer Aid Plus plastic ramps. Only work on Torsion axles.

Do the blocks you have used under one wheel actually raise the adjacent wheel?

While mine is a FW with 5,200 lb axles, the suspension looks similar to yours. I have used my TrailerAid plus to easily lift and service all four wheels.

Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks for sharing! Good to know that the Trailer Aid Plus works with leaf spring axles. I think I'll try that option first, as it is simple and easy. If it doesn't work, I can send it back and use the bottle jack method.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone look at that Bottle Jack Buddy link? They are selling them for $54.99?
A person can buy a spring seat for 8-12 dollars and use as is, or have a friend tack weld a piece of pipe to it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fisherman wrote:
Just go rent a 10 ton fork lift and be done with it.

2 Thumbs up !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Just go rent a 10 ton fork lift and be done with it.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Baja Man wrote:
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Thanks

Here you go!

That is a good idea. I cut a piece of wood in a circle to fit on the pad of my floor jack. The wood against metal makes it less likely to slip.
When moving heavy trucks at work, we would place wood on the forks of a forklift before lifting the vehicle by the bumper or rear ICC bumper .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Baja Man wrote:
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Thanks

Here you go!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Baja Man wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Hitch up , pull up on blocks , work on the two axles that are off the ground , repeat for next set of axles .

Rolling up on blocks would be same as the Trailer Aid Plus plastic ramps. Only work on Torsion axles.

Do the blocks you have used under one wheel actually raise the adjacent wheel?

While mine is a FW with 5,200 lb axles, the suspension looks similar to yours. I have used my TrailerAid plus to easily lift and service all four wheels.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Baja Man wrote:
Also, once lifted, where are jack stands being placed? If using a bottle jack, the jack would be in the way of placing jack stands there....(close to wheel).

Under the frame, or not. No need for a jack stand anyways unless you remove both wheels at the same timeโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold