cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Owl Creek pass

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
I want to go to silver jack reservoir in Colorado next week. Can I take my 33 ft 5th wheel over Owl creek pass?
4 REPLIES 4

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Owl Creek Pass is an easy gravel road. We were last on it 4 years ago. We met a Vette on it that last time. I assume he didn't have clearance problems. Not a difficult road at all. Just a wide almost 2 lane gravel road.
Nice area. Watch for livestock on the road as it's open range.
At the pass is Debbie's Meadow. Chimney Rock is visible. Named for Debbie Reynolds because she really loved the area when filming How The West Was Won which was filmed in the area.
Before going watch the original move True Grit with John Wayne. At Debbie's Meadow is where Ned Pepper and his gang meet Rooster Cogburn for the famous ending scene and the gang is defeated. "Pretty bold talk for a one eyed fat man." You see exactly where John Wayne was positioned and also the where the Ned Pepper gang was when the scene was filmed. There is a small stream at the pass where some of the scenes were filmed. After watching the movie and paying attention to the scenery you'll easily spot the areas.
When in Ridgway CO stop into the True Grit Cafe where the crew from the movie use to hang out. Some movie items are on display. One wall in the cafe is in the movie where John Wayne is first seen meeting Mattie Ross (Kim Darby). The park across from the True Grit Cafe is where the hanging scene was filmed.
Dennis Weaver (Chester from Gunsmoke) donated a lot to the village of Ridgway and some areas are named in his honor.
Camped in every state

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
It is an awesome area. Heading in from the north side (hwy 50).is much more forgiving than the southern/ western approach from 550. As previous poster mentioned rain can make the approach from the sw a chore been there done that several times we used to go up there quite a bit. The res is pretty low last time I was up there.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have not been up it but sounds like a well maintained gravel road for a non towing vehicle. If I was heavy towing then I'd want 4WD because of slipage on the gravel. I did not see anything about the grade. YMMV
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion agrees with thisโ€ฆ

โ€œThe road to the summit is a well-maintained gravel road. Itโ€™s an easy driving without any serious difficulties for conventional cars, in dry conditions. However, after heavy rainstorms, potentially muddy conditions may prevent cars without AWD or 4WD from reaching the pass. Approaching the pass, the gravel and dirt road starts to wind, and with plenty of tight turns. The road to the summit is very steep, hitting a 12% of maximum gradient through some of the ramps. Starting at US-550 (Million Dollar Highway), the ascent is 23.17km (14.4 miles) long. Over this distance the elevation gain is 967 meters. The average gradient is 4.17%.โ€

However, I enjoy challenging drives.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad