cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House battery size

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Curious as to what size and type batteries class A owners use for house batteries. Our manual does not mention or explain how to calculate requirements.

Doug
13 REPLIES 13

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps this will help you out just a tiny bit. https://changingears.com/weight-calculators/ez-battery-life-calculator/

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bennefim wrote:
Curious as to what size and type batteries class A owners use for house batteries. Our manual does not mention or explain how to calculate requirements.

Doug
Energy audit is what is needed to calculate. Or simply count what is there and see how it works for you. Then it is a matter of expanding capacity or conservation.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have seen pairs of GC2 in a class A (Mine factory)
I've seen multiple Group 29 or 31
I've seen D-4s (Equivlent to a pair of GC2)

IN short many different sizes

But tell us what you've seen in 2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen pairs of GC2 in a class A (Mine factory)
I've seen multiple Group 29 or 31
I've seen D-4s (Equivlent to a pair of GC2)

IN short many different sizes
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
bennefim wrote:

Doug

This website has some suggestions on how to make that decision:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar-part-four/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer depends on many things.
Do you "Boondock" or camp without power often? The bigger the battery the better the battery the batteries are bigger... Well..

Do you always camp WITH power You can get by with less.

Are you JUST running control power to the Fridge. Water heater or are you gonna need the Furnace..

Do you use an inverter to run the TV or Nuke lunch?

The more you do the more you need.

For light use a Group 31 MARINE/deep cycle or a GC-12 would be my suggestion.

For most a pair of GC-2 (These are six volt) in series I really like the GC batteries as they are True DEEP CYCLE not MARINE/deep cycle (note how I change case)

For heavy use.. 2, 3 or 4 pair of GC-2

Some numbers
MARINE/deep cycle (Group batteries) you should not use much more than 25%
And GC (Gold Car DEEP CYCLE) 50%

now
Group 24 about 70-75 Amp hours each
Group 27 and 29 Just under/over 100 Amp Hours Each
Group 31 120-130 Amp Hours

GC-2 is about 220 amp hours give or take 10
And a GC-12.. I'd have to double check but about 150 (US battery says 155)
(my memory still working ๐Ÿ™‚ )

as I said the GC types you can use half the amp hours.

Now we get into exotics like LiFePO4... you can use close to 100% but they cost more and are less flexible when it comes to the enviornment.. They do not like it if it gets too hot or cold.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure your coach didn't come with two 6 volt golf cart house batteries? That has been the Fleetwood standard since at least the 80s.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Curious as to what size and type batteries class A owners use for house batteries."

Depends more on the type of camping you do rather than the type of RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
what make and model is the converter?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
As above, get them checked. If they have been giving you good service just replace them. Are you deploying slides connected to power or just on batteries? My manual states to exercise the slides while on shore power or gen. Moving a FES takes a lot of power. I try to help by opening a window while operation the slides a lot of air has to be accounted for when going in or out.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Fully charge them and have them LOAD TESTED. Free at any place that sells batteries.

That will tell you if they are good/bad.

Much of "what batteries to use" depends on the configuration of your battery tray/area.

If it will accommodate them, 6 VDC golf cart batteries wires in SERIES to make a 12 VDC battery is usually the least expensive way to get quality deep cycle batteries. The come in different heights as well as other dimensions, so depends on what will fit.

As to how many/total amp-hrs, that really depends on how you use the coach. If mostly RV park to RV park VS lots of boondocking-- the answer will be different.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have two 12 volt batteries connected together. When new, coach came with one 12 volt battery. Subject came up because full wall slide seems slower coming in lately. Voltage is good but dont know about during load.

Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have a 2006 Fleetwood? So, since the unit is that old. AGM and Lithium are not used in your application due to the TYPE charging system used in 2006. You would have to upgrade your Coach 12 volt charging system to use AGM and Lithium. That leaves 2 choices. 12 volt, 27 series RV deep cycle batteries, or 6 volt RV deep cycle batteries. BOTH were used 20 years ago. To determine if 6 or 12 volt is easy as long as you have the Coach batteries still installed. 12 volt batteries have 6 fill caps. 6 volt batteries have 3 fill caps. Even sealed maintenance free will show fill cap holes. Doug