cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard satellite antenna help

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our 5th wheel has a Winegard satellite dish installed by the previous owner that has worked well for us. It is a basic SD dish, model RM-DM46 18" round dish with a manual crank. Recently, due to a wind storm the elevation gear in the turret on the roof broke. It is a plastic gear. There is no other damage. Winegard no longer makes this antenna and has no parts inventory for it. I have been searching on line and at salvage yards all over for the part or a used antenna without success. I Know that domes are the latest technology but I have Direct and would have to change to Dish at home also for an upgrade to be worthwhile. If anyone has an old Winegard satellite antenna that they changed out or knows of a source for Winegard parts I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance. You can PM me if you like.
6 REPLIES 6

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am aware of the Trav'ler but $2249 is too much for me, especially when Dish has domes w/hd starting around $310. Can't justify it for an 18 year old trailer.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
You can replace your old crank-up with a new automatic dish and get DirecTV HD - Winegard offers the Trav'ler dish, and RF Mogul offers a dish as well. RF Mogul seems to be the better option, but they are a bit more expensive than Winegard.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the signal back at this time, though probably only temporarily. I glued the 2 pieces of the gear together and then ran a machine bolt through the center hub to hold them together. Another strong wind may undo my work.
I know that a dome would work but Direct only has SD in theirs so if we decide to go with a dome we want to upgrade to HD. That means changing everything to Dish so we only have 1 provider and account.

Thanks for the info though.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
A replacement dome will give you the exact same service that you receive with your current crankup. Might be your easiest route back to getting the signal back.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am aware of the SD/HD issue with DTV. I purchased an older HD receiver, H24-200, a couple of years back when all of this SD/HD started. We get all but a few of channels we get at home which works for us. Still searching.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try RV satellite installers as they dump that equipment, you might get a hit.

If your receiver is SD only then be advised that SD likely has a limited future. But apparently no one including DTV really knows.

BTY I was satisfied with my SD dish until I couldn't get the winter olympics in OR. Found out there are various regions in the US where SD is not transmitted and a HD receiver/dish is required even if using a SD TV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob