cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter installation question.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. So I’m installing an inverter in my class A. I plan on installing it in the basement storage by the entry door which is right next to the batteries, about 3 feet. My only concern is the heat. My basement gets very hot when on the road in the summer, will this trigger the over temp shut down? I do only plan on using it when the generator isn't running, and that is on days when it’s cool outside. Like when we head down to TX. In Nov. In the summer heat of 90 plus deg I’ve seen the compartment temps up to the 110’s! On regular cooler days maybe 85-90. I know some manuf install them in the exact same location with no issues.
Looking for advice and opinions.

Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
13 REPLIES 13

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. Is this compartment sealed? Is it part of the other storage compartments(they share a lot of air space)
2. Do you plan to store items in this compartment?
3. The WORST thing to do with ANY INVERTER,(especially an Inverter/Charger) is to install in a compartment that has NO FRESH air available. There is a reason Inverters have a cooling fan. To cool the Inverter when operating. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A FRESH AIR SOURCE, HOW WILL THE INVERTER STAY COOL?
4. One of the most common causes of Inverter failure is lack of fresh air to keep the Inverter cool. This is one reason you see a lot of OEM inverter installs mounted to the ceiling of a large storage compartment that allows some fresh air to get to the Inverter. Doug

If the doors are closed, HOW does it get any fresh air??????????????? Besides you now have a dorm refer adding to the heat exhaust. Doug

Yes it’s is sealed. It has the dorm fridge in it. It is the large double door compartment that goes through to the other side.

It does get fresh air, one fan pulls air in, the other pushes it out.

As I said, I have 2 fans pulling and pushing.

From WHERE are you getting the "FRESH" air to Push and Pull? Doug

It pulls air in from outside the compartment. Then the other fan pushes air out of the compartment.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. Is this compartment sealed? Is it part of the other storage compartments(they share a lot of air space)
3. The WORST thing to do with ANY INVERTER,(especially an Inverter/Charger) is to install in a compartment that has NO FRESH air available. There is a reason Inverters have a cooling fan. To cool the Inverter when operating. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A FRESH AIR SOURCE, HOW WILL THE INVERTER STAY COOL?
4. One of the most common causes of Inverter failure is lack of fresh air to keep the Inverter cool. This is one reason you see a lot of OEM inverter installs mounted to the ceiling of a large storage compartment that allows some fresh air to get to the Inverter. Doug

If the doors are closed, HOW does it get any fresh air??????????????? Besides you now have a dorm refer adding to the heat exhaust. Doug

Yes it’s is sealed. It has the dorm fridge in it. It is the large double door compartment that goes through to the other side.

From WHERE are you getting the "FRESH" air to Push and Pull? Doug

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Anything electric or electronic stored in the same compartment as wet batteries would concern me.

The batteries are under the stairs and open and the inverter is in the compartment next to that. So yes, separated!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Heat kills. The fans may help. Put them on a thermostat?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added ventelation to my basement.. Filtered vents no less.

Drilled a pair of 4" holes
Cut a piece of plywood big enough and drilled 4 holes
Got a standard auto air filter (the round kind)
Made a sandwich.. The filter was sandwiched between the outside of the compartment and the board (Board was painted I might add)

Other hole the filter was jammed between two compartments and a fan blew air from inside to outside.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Anything electric or electronic stored in the same compartment as wet batteries would concern me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 1500 watt inverter in the same place in my Suncruiser just for my Haier residential refrigerator. Run the refrig on the inverter all the time. Took trips to Ithaca NY and Wilmington De as well as Door County and Marquette MI this sumeer with no problems. Can send you pics of installation next week if you'd like.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I also forgot to mention that I currently have a 1k watt inverter in the same compartment right now that powers only my small dorm fridge. I also have 2 small computer fans venting the compartment. It hasn’t been an issue and probably won’t be with the newer one powering most of the MH.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if it helps, but our inverter is installed in our compartment under the mattress. We have a DP and the diesel motor is located directly under that compartment. The compartment gets very hot from the running motor for sure. There is a vent next to the inverter, and a cooling fan on the inverter.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog