cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof tear along edge ...

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this 5th wheel 6 years ago. It had a roof repair using just Dicor along the edge of the roof which has been water-tight for the 6 years I have owned it. The previous owner must have dragged the trailer along a tree branch or other object. It is along the top of the edge of the roof (just before it bends over the edge and tucks under the molding). The repair has come loose in two places (one 4 inches wide and the other about 3 inches wide). I need to address this before the winds and rain come.

I had a mobile roof repair guy come out today and he took one look at it and said the only fix is a new roof (quoted $7500). The rest of the roof is in perfect (age-appropriate) shape. He said there is no repair he can make that would hold up to the wind.

OK. So, I agree this is probably the worst place a roof can be damaged. But, I'm not so quick to give up on the possibility of a repair. It seems to me that the molding could be pulled back, and a wide (e.g. 12") roll of eternabond tape could be applied to the length of the damaged area with 2" or so overhanging the edge. Then roll it over the edge and re-attach the molding over it and trim as necessary. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Has anyone had this kind of damage and successfully repaired it?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
11 REPLIES 11

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same two years after buying our FW. Used Eternabond. Here we are 10 years later and tbe patch has held with no hint of coming unglued.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
there are NO REPAIR MEN any more . the new world is replace better yet buy new. kids don,t want to learn how to fix things so the repair trade is going away. ok,I,M done ranting. have a great day.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
No need to remove the molding. Just use the Eterna bond tape up to the edge of the molding. First remove as much of the Dicor as you can. Install your Eterna bond and cover edges with fresh Dicor. You should be good to go. Good luck.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll add my vote for using Eternabond as you described. I've been using it for over 20 years on 5 different motorhomes around roof vents, a/c flashing, roof seams and front and rear caps. Never a leak on any of them.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same, caught a branch leaving the house, right at the bend. Used 4" eternabond tape right down to the little rain gutter. Done a number of years and many miles ago and still holding tight. That stuff is just about impossible to remove once secured in place.
I'd remove the Dicor as best as you could and cover the entire area with eternabond tape and call it a day.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like anymore people will catch you at a vulnerable position unable to fix things yourself and just throw a ridiculous price on it to see if you will take the bait. If the repairman has other work lined up he will put a high price on you to see if you bite. If you do he will put other work on hold and go do the ridiculous priced job. Go find someone with less workload and get an estimate. Get on youtube and see how others have fixed problems like this.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
I have a similar tear along edge on my FW, I repaired with Eternabond tape without going under the moulding on side, then applied self levelling Dicor to edge has been there for several years, was told also that roof had to be replaced and insurance not willing to pay more than 50%
Frank

I did this on my last 5th wheel and it held for a while. I eventually put a new roof on it. But, it didn't cost anywhere near $7500. More like half of that. Inflation?

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar tear along edge on my FW, I repaired with Eternabond tape without going under the moulding on side, then applied self levelling Dicor to edge has been there for several years, was told also that roof had to be replaced and insurance not willing to pay more than 50%
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure Dicor alone isn't going to cut it this time.

But maybe I could just carry the eternabond to the edge of the molding to avoid removing it and pulling it back. I'm just not sure there's enough surface there over the edge to stick to. I think the right way would be to go under the molding like the original roof material.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your description, I’d go with 12 inch Eternabond tape.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Prior owner made repairs that lasted at least 6 years. Make that repair for another 6 years.