cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming with an iPhone

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
What would be the most cost effective way to stream video, such as Netflix, on an iPhone and mirror that content to my TV receiver in the 5th wheel?

The TV is not a smart TV but I do have both an Amazon Fire Stick and a Roku stick that could be used. I'm thinking there may be a way to interface the two using Bluetooth, or by an HDMI adapter cable. Just wondering what method is the most reliable.
12 REPLIES 12

Boutown
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I purchased an apple lightning to hdmi connector. Hdmi adaptor
Then connect to a hdmi input on the TV. It has worked very well for me. I usually have the IPhone connected to wifi.
What you get on the TV is the same as what is on the iPhone display.
The adaptor also has a lightning import port you can use for power from a USB charge port to keep the iPhone battery charged

This is the same approach I use. No complaints.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
Verizon will throttle down the download speed at a lower amount than if using the cell data to stream.
On my new V data plan I got 5gigs of high-speed, then immediately throttled down using the hotspot. I've read posts from those who either don't actually get throttled or claim 'no difference', but this is noticeable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
The lightning to HDMI adapter is working out just fine. I found that when using the iPhone as a hotspot, Verizon will throttle down the download speed at a lower amount than if using the cell data to stream.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used the lightning to HDMI adapter for years. Works nice with my otherwise not smart TV in my RV.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
Then connect to a hdmi input on the TV. It has worked very well for me. I usually have the IPhone connected to wifi.
The adaptor also has a lightning import port you can use for power from a USB charge port to keep the iPhone battery charged

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just ordered the Apple HDMI adapter suggested in this post. It looks like there are several ways to accomplish mirroring but the adapter cable looks like the most efficient.

At my home I have spectrum for my internet and use Netflix. When I am going to take a trip I will download movies from Netflix on my Iphone and then I can stream the movie to my tv in the RV using the said adaptor.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just ordered the Apple HDMI adapter suggested in this post. It looks like there are several ways to accomplish mirroring but the adapter cable looks like the most efficient.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As a test I bought a cheap phone and set up Visible. Unlimited data, the literature says it may be throttled during busy times, but it hasn't happened to me yet.
$30 a month, and it gave us a Verizon phone to offset the ATT ones we had. Will be dropping one of the ATT lines soon and replacing it withthe visible if it keeps working this well.

If using your iPhone hotspot, stick with the top streaming devices you mentioned. Most of the large paid services will not support 'no name' players typically sold on Amazon.com. For instance, see Netflix approved streaming devices.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hotspot does work, but that generally comes with a limit. I've never seen one with unlimited high-speed data.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
We use Verizon (senior plan) with unlimited data; iPhone as a hotspot and streaming to laptop; Roku screen mirroring (app) to TV.

I'm not terribly savvy about the latest tech solutions, so this may not be the best way, but it works and I can set it up.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Use the personal hotspot on your iphone and it will work just like wifi if using Roku etc.