cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1995 CHEVROLET P30 CHASS STEERING ISSUE

YumaBill20222
Explorer
Explorer
Working on my 1995 Chevy P30 Chassis and have developed an unusual steering vibration after replacing my bell cranks. Had found out after install the original bolt where bell crank attaches to forward moving steering stabilizer was too short and worked itself loose and blew out the cylinder. installed new cylinder with correct length bolt but side to side wobble in steering still present. Replaced 2 front tires installed upgraded h/d steering stabilizer replaced front shocks and replaced bearings in super steer bell crank mounts and still have the side to side movement only occurs when hitting any type of bump or dip in road...looking for any help i am sure its something we are overlooking PLEASE HELP
10 REPLIES 10

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like play/looseness in the steering box, which can be adjusted.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If no air bags, sure hope you have Henderson's stronger springs.

The air bags were an integral part of the front suspension, and are critical for proper alignment.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

YumaBill20222
Explorer
Explorer
It started after replacing bell cranks

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did vibration start before or after new tires?
Possible rim is not tight against hub.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

YumaBill20222
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the responses everyone.. it does not have air bags and everything bushing and control arm wise have no play or movement.. the weird thing is its not a turning vibration it only move the steering wheel side to sidelike your panning for gold if that makes sense

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the chassis metal around the bell crank and steering box for cracks.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, anything that is loose or worn and zero toe-in.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is your rig equipped with air bags?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a list of things that can cause what you have. I am sure there are others to be add to it. Something has a loose joint, you just have to find it. Good luck or go find a good front end shop that knows the P30.

Front Track Bar
Ball Joints
Drag Link/Tie Rod Ends
Upper Control Arms
Lower Control Arms
Suspension Bushings
Steering Stabilizer
Steering Knuckles

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Not sure if your chassis has a trac bar but if it does I would replace those bushings.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup