cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIRES,,,,,need 4

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
need tires for my ram pick up truck 2012, LT265/60R20, haven't bought tires for many years and didn't realize how many different brands are out there and how expensive they are now.
Any suggestions as to a brand that is decent out there? just looking for a all terrain tire with NO off road driving. mostly highway and city streets.... thanks
49 REPLIES 49

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I was mistaken on the weight but they’re still tanks.
35-12.5-20 Grabber X3 = 76.2lbs.
Comparable 121 load Cooper Evo MT = 65lbs
Toyo RT 35s = 72 lbs
Toyo RT 37s = 80 lbs!!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
phillyg wrote:
I've been disappointed the few times I strayed from Michelin.

I've been disappointed the couple times I've had Michelins.

I think it's safe to say I have owned at least 15 sets of Michelin's over the years. I had one set that I did not get great mileage. First set I put on my 15 DRW only went 40k but that is as good or better then many. This set is at 55k and still going strong. Michelin did give me $650 to spend on any tire brand I chose for not getting to 60k. I used it towards this current set.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
administrator/moderator wrote:
* This post was edited 10/05/22 11:16pm by an administrator/moderator *

Huh? It was censored.

Lol, you're gettin' doxxed by rvnet, Matt!

Not me, but do agree with what was first paragraph
"Opinions...... stink ??!

I also agree with grits long winded GY Duratracs comments. I'm about 20k miles. The front edges do wear quick! I'll swag my city driving at 80%,is causing this issue vs grit having 80% highway driving speeds, does not cause issues like mine.

I can't hear tone on a piano above an octave above middle C between Eand F kekeys. I hear E tone, F I hear hammer hitting the wire tapping. I hear these tires! Yes great in snow, not so great on sheet ice/snow, not enough micro sipping. After market sipping voids warranty! Boo hiss!!!

Should've stuck with Cooper AT3 like I had on 2500, both sons have on their trucks.

Marty

While I’d like to say that all the city driving and turning is the cause, I don’t think it is.
Like you said this set of Duratracs is primarily wide open (fairly straight) highway duty.
Last set like 10+ years ago we’re also on a basically new truck. That truck was also primarily highway miles but high speed curves. 100mi round trip of mountain driving including Glenwood canyon at the fastest speeds the traffic, weather or the fact it was a truck and not a Corvette allowed.
Same exact wear behavior and noise out of the front tires. And those also lasted much longer than average although I did have them flipped on the rims once due to wearing the outer tread down much faster due to cornering speed and wear.
Never rotated a set of tires more than these. Every oil change or so both trucks I’d swap them front to back and they’d quiet down for a few tanks of gas and then back to the racket.
I’m pretty sure the only thing one could do for those tires to keep them from resonating in the cab is recycle them or never drive over 40mph!

The ones I’ve got now I skipped the last rotation because I was either going to put new tires on it about now for winter or quit my job. I quit so I’m turning the truck over to my worthless sack of monkey ____ new boss in a week or 2. This guy’s so lame, he’s still driving my old 2016 company truck…..lol. And told me “he gets my truck” when I leave! LOL. What a dufus.
I’m gonna tie a zip tie with a washer on it on the driveshaft to compliment the tire howling!
He’s the kind of guy that will take it to the Chevy dealer for a “bad noise” without even looking under the truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Grit,
Are those for GM or Dodge?

Marty

Those are for the GeeEmCee! Still need to order the rims. Doing white 20” Detroit steelies with original hubcaps.
Curiously, these Grabbers are THE heaviest tire for their size I have ever seen, despite the “low” 121 load rating. The tires alone feel almost as heavy as the 37s with Rims on the ole brodozer. And stiff too. FAR stiffer than the last couple sets of much higher load rated truck tire 20s I’ve had.

Here’s a pic of the old truck in action for homecoming!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So basically someone has literally had “bad luck” with the same tires that someone else thinks are “great”. This is inclusive of every tire and every internet story I’ve probably ever read.
Almost as fun as oil discussions except there largely isn’t a “bad” oil whereas poor quality or misapplication of tires is actually a real thing.
Tires just have so many other factors that those who don’t know Jack about vehicles fail to notice recognize or realize. And the tires are the visual outcome of other “issues.”

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Had really good luck with the Coopers. Had to go with a set of Pathfinders, the Discount Tire store brand in a pinch because they were the only tires in stock and I had two irreparable flats.

Not a fan of those at all and I think their actually worse than the Firestones that came on it from the factory.

Had over 80K on a set of Yokahamas on my F150 before I traded it off
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
I just had my Toyo AT III's rotated on my '20 3500 DRW. I have 30K on them. The inside dual had not yet been rotated to the front (they are now). Those tires are down to 3/32nds The other 4 are 5/32nds. The truck is also loaded most all the time so there is that. The tires perform very well, both in the Winter, great on ice, decent in the dirt and gravel. The wear is not great. As they wear the siping continues which is nice to see, but dam they wear fast. I believe they have a 50k warranty. According to Discount tire, they all have to be worn down to get warranty coverage. I am going to finish wearing these out, which wont take long and try the Falcon Wildpeaks on the DRW.

Wild Peak or if you want to save a few bucks go with the Cooper AT3 XLT's. Coopers for me are a far better tire then the previous Toyo AT2's much better handling. Never even considered the Toyo AT3's after the poor performance of the Toyo AT2's . I considered the Falkens ,but price ,and the mileage warranty on the Coopers are 65K , not sure there is another AT with that high of warranty . Time will tell on what mileage I will get out off these Coopers ,it won't take a lot to beat the Toyo AT2's I had .

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my Toyo AT III's rotated on my '20 3500 DRW. I have 30K on them. The inside dual had not yet been rotated to the front (they are now). Those tires are down to 3/32nds The other 4 are 5/32nds. The truck is also loaded most all the time so there is that. The tires perform very well, both in the Winter, great on ice, decent in the dirt and gravel. The wear is not great. As they wear the siping continues which is nice to see, but dam they wear fast. I believe they have a 50k warranty. According to Discount tire, they all have to be worn down to get warranty coverage. I am going to finish wearing these out, which wont take long and try the Falcon Wildpeaks on the DRW.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
made in America.

Which means absolutely nothing where quality of construction and longevity are concerned. There is plenty of made in America junk out there.

Yeah, but at least we don't have to leave the country to talk direct. And, it supports local USA economy.

And, BFG are not junk. You an pick and choose a product, if it's junk, don't buy it.

"but at least we don't have to leave the country to talk direct"

What? Lol.

I did not say BFG were "junk". You read that into my post. I said there is plenty of made in America junk out there so if that's what drives a purchasing decision good luck. RVs in general are a great example of made in America junk,

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I've had 6 or 7 different sets of tires on my truck and hands down these Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires have been the best soo far.

They are amazing at high speed winter driving.

I bought some 18" wheels off a 2019 GMC Denali and went with Toyo Open County A/T III because Michelin doesn't make the Agilis Cross Climate in the size that I wanted.

With only 6000 miles on them the Toyo tire are wearing pretty good.

They do just fine in all weather conditions but seem to be a little on the noisy.

But what do you expect from a fairly aggressive A/T...
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

blt2ski
Grit,
Are those for GM or Dodge?

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Goodyear All Terrain with Kevlar is top quality not the low price value tire.
I run mine hard in all conditions (on road and off) and they perform very well.

Recently bought these and I'm quite happy. Pay attention to Goodyear sales. I bought them this spring on sale. Used my Goodyear credit card and saved an additional $200 and got 6 months 0% financing. My local dealer also had a mail in rebate for installation. Got all 4 tires for under $1000 installed (18s though).
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Pbutler97 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
made in America.

Which means absolutely nothing where quality of construction and longevity are concerned. There is plenty of made in America junk out there.

Yeah, but at least we don't have to leave the country to talk direct. And, it supports local USA economy.

And, BFG are not junk. You an pick and choose a product, if it's junk, don't buy it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not driving off road, you want All Season tires, NOT All Terrain.

I will second or third or fourth that there are no better tires than Michelin. After that, it's Goodyear, Cooper, Toyo, and probably everything else after that.

You won't be able to find anything better for you than the LTX A/S.