cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Found: The perfect campground???

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a 3 day 2 night trip down to Roosevelt Lake. We had driven by the Bermuda Flat camping area dozens of times but never stopped to investigate what it has to offer. :S First of all it is dry camping, ironically right on the northern end/western shore of Roosevelt Lake which stretches for more than 20 miles.

You just drive down to the water on decent dirt roads and pull up as close to the water as you like. It costs just $8 a night {you purchase a Tonto National Forrest use card/permit at any of a number of local merchants}. Tuesday through Thursday there were a couple dozen rigs at the north end but weekends really see a huge increase in the crowds.

This time of year the water in the lake is in the mid eighties with daytime highs in the upper 80's, with frequent thunderstorms rolling down over the lake from the surrounding mountains. Yep, the views are spectacular in every direction. Not ideal swimming conditions as you have to get 40 yards off shore to reach 3' of water. Watching folks launch their boats is not for the feint of heart:

Best of all it is 41 miles from our house and the spectacular drive down the mountain takes less than an hour. The off road riding is awesome with Forrest Service road 445 heading west over the mountains just outside the entrance to Bermuda Flat. Next trip I will definitely haul our Rzr for even more fun. Here are a few more pics...

That is our 24' Nexus on the right:

this is just the northern section with a far larger area to the south:

Our neighbors to the north as we await another afternoon thunderstorm:

:B
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pbutler97 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
As scary as this kind of boat launching/retrieval appears it sure looked like these folks knew what they were about and I sincerely doubt it was their first rodeo. The lake is around 66 percent full so there is a lot of room for more water, hopefully a good winter of heavy snow in the surrounding mountains will generate the runoff needed to top the lake up.

At least it is fresh water... can you imagine what salt what salt water would do to those nice new trucks? :S

I was looking at it from the standpoint of damaging an expensive truck, or at least making its value essentially nil. A pickup is not water tight when you submerge the rockers and bottoms of doors. But whatever floats their boat lol.

Itโ€™s a Ford. He was probably hoping for an insurance claim to total it so he can get a Ram!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houston Mesa CG is a very nice but largely unknown by most folks passing through Payson. I'
ve never seen it full so keep it in mind if your travels leave you anywhere near Payson at the end of the day.

:C

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
OP here,

Yes we live in Payson Arizona which is 40 miles north of the lake.

My best friend lives in Payson. He lives on Chatham Dr. We were out there in 2017 and stayed at Houston Mesa Campground.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the under seat area a convenient place for bulky electronics to be mounted I'd choose a very long trailer tongue extension instead of a deep dunk. Their truck, their choice.
Puma 30RKSS

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s been several years but I really liked camping on the west side of the lake. And if you drive up the road towards Young on the east side of the lake a few miles thereโ€™s a flat area that I always wanted to dry camp at and the view over the deep canyon was spectacular.
Also, go east on 260 and then turn south on the Young road and go about 2 miles where the big powerlines go over the road and turn left. Thereโ€™s terrific dry camping in that area and one of the areas also has a terrific view over the edge of the Rim.
I think itโ€™s about 20 miles north of Globe, up the salt river canyon, thereโ€™s two campgrounds on the left side, very secluded and peaceful and completely covered over by trees.
Dry camping in Arizona what was the best and the only problem was, I ran out of time to try all the great places I saw! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
As scary as this kind of boat launching/retrieval appears it sure looked like these folks knew what they were about and I sincerely doubt it was their first rodeo. The lake is around 66 percent full so there is a lot of room for more water, hopefully a good winter of heavy snow in the surrounding mountains will generate the runoff needed to top the lake up.

At least it is fresh water... can you imagine what salt what salt water would do to those nice new trucks? :S

I was looking at it from the standpoint of damaging an expensive truck, or at least making its value essentially nil. A pickup is not water tight when you submerge the rockers and bottoms of doors. But whatever floats their boat lol.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Pbutler97 wrote:
Folks drive late model trucks in with the water up above the bottoms of the doors to launch boats?

The area looks awesome. Have to get there one of these days.

Folks around here spend more boat time in the salt chuck than in fresh water. Bigger fish. And more rust.

Ya do watcha gotta do!
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Folks drive late model trucks in with the water up above the bottoms of the doors to launch boats?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful clouds!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here,

Yes we live in Payson Arizona which is 40 miles north of the lake.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
lancewgurel wrote:
What state are you in?
Looks like Arizona

Tonto is in Arizona.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
joebedford wrote:
lancewgurel wrote:
What state are you in?
Looks like Arizona

It is, Salt River chain.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

joebedford