cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DMV issues

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, short version sold the house and went full time, did all the research set up a mail service etc, The DMV is not wanting to take it for my tag renewal. They need a physical residence within the county. Any ideas?

JJ
19 REPLIES 19

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I see the OP is living in Tennessee. I had no problem using a mail service to register my RV in Texas, but Tennessee may not be so flexible. All my exes live in Texas, but I'm still not living in Tennessee. I'm happy in Texas for now.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Lake County.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
I understand mail forwarding services. I appreciate your response, but it is not our solution. From my original post: "We're giving up our SD residency since we bought property in AZ." We've had a mail forwarding service (and legal SD residency) for many years. We have now given it up and have established residency (DL and car registration in another state.) We're looking for the name of one of the counties in SD that will allow us to continue registering our motorhome in SD.
Don and Eileen

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
That's not a residency. Its mail forwarding where you can also get DL and register your RV.
You asked a question and I gave you the solution.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
We do not want to continue to keep a residency in SD.
Don and Eileen

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Try MyDakotaAddress in Lake County.

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm jumping on this with hopes that the negative comments can be put aside. We each have our own life situations and the support here is much appreciated.
We're giving up our SD residency since we bought property in AZ. We were told at the AZ DMV that we could continue to register (and insure, of course) our motorhome in SD. We can no longer register it in Minnehaha County, but were told by them that other counties will let us. We have the list of counties, but am wondering if anyone knows one (or more) counties that will accept our situation.
Thanks.
Don and Eileen

Community Alumni
Not applicable
jerryleejr wrote:
Ok, short version sold the house and went full time, did all the research set up a mail service etc, The DMV is not wanting to take it for my tag renewal. They need a physical residence within the county. Any ideas?

JJ

Use the campground address

JimR

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo wrote:
A fulltimer that doesn't own property (land), can essentially choose any state as a residence.

Be very careful with this advice. There are rules.

If you come from a high tax state, they may reject your claim to have moved if you can't provide evidence you are residing in your new state. Just getting a new drivers license is often not enough if they think they can get tax dollars out of you and the burden is on you to prove you moved.

You need to move as much as possible clear of the old high tax state. Get all your bills moved to the new state. Also try to minimize the time spent in the old state. If you are from California and you spent 7 months in California, they may reject your South Dakota residency if you only spent a couple days in South Dakota transferring your license. If they think there is money in it, they will likely come after you...and will probably win.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Technically, you are homeless.

We ran into this years ago and they suggested putting down a family members address. Probably not 100% legitimate but no one really cares (do be up front with your insurance company though).

Mail forwarding services fall into the same category, you can't actually reside there but in some states, they don't really care to pursue it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's what I have done to get around the PMB issues,
we use the Good Sam/PassPort America system in Crestview, so our address is:
5753 Hwy 85N
Suite xxxx
Crestview, FL 32536
By using Suite with your box number makes it good to go for most cases.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My friend had the same problem in TN. He finally just gave up and did it through FL.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
A fulltimer that doesn't own property (land), can essentially choose any state as a residence. This is our 2nd time fulltiming and we remained AZ residents as we own a house in AZ that we rent out.
But the first time fulltiming, we chose South Dakota as our state of residence and went with a mail forwarding service there. Never had an issue with the SD DMV.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
A mail service simply gives you a box, a Personal Mail Box, PMB. You couldn't reside in that PMB, so that address isn't a "real" residential address.

Some such as Escapees and St. Brendan's Isle can provide you a real address that you could live at, a domicile address. You would also become a legal resident of Texas or Florida for better or worse.

escapees.com

sbimailservice.com
-jbh-