cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle and Bicycle Transport

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I made a post on here that I can no longer find. It detailed my difficulty finding a system that would transport bicycles safely. I routinely travel with bicycles that exceed the value of my trailer! Okay so my trailer's a bit older, but the point remains--bicycles can be really expensive. The primary thing we use our toy hauler for is going on mountain biking trips.

I discovered this company called "Bolt it On" and while I may have been too cheap to consider their offerings years ago when I got my TH, I certainly would now:

https://www.boltiton.com/product/build-your-own-rack-system/

They have a rack system that goes into your toy hauler for hauling motorcycles or bicycles. It locks into the rings in your floor and can be configured to carry a bunch of motorcycles, bicycles, or any combination. It appears modular in that I will be able to reconfigure it depending on which bikes we take with us on a trip and whether I take my motorcycle.

I'm not sure if there are any competitors for this, but I am definitely impressed with this one and will be plunking down the money for a setup sometime soon.

I have no affiliation with the company nor have I ever heard about it until just now--I had just been looking for a similar product about 3 years ago and nobody had any good suggestions.

I have been using something I made out of lumber for years, but the modular nature of these where we can move the bikes around and reconfigure depending on what we take with us is really interesting.

Now to just find the thousand dollars for the product!
10 REPLIES 10

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
ddm502001 wrote:
As with the HD in one photo I will also be hauling one, 900# worth by itself where can see value in the Wheel Chock attaching function to keep stable. Thanks for the information!!!

I'll be ordering one soon, just have to figure out how many bicycles I want it made for. Going to have the motorcycle and however many bicycles!

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
As with the HD in one photo I will also be hauling one, 900# worth by itself where can see value in the Wheel Chock attaching function to keep stable. Thanks for the information!!!

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I make everything myself, easy enough to copy.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds higher than heck to me, but whatever floats yer boat. Your money to blow. No need to justify it, except to yourself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Shoot, I spent almost $200 to secure my $20,000 dollar toys, in my %75,000 toyhauler, pulled by my $40,000 truck. Leaves me with $800 more to travel with. ๐Ÿ™‚ $800 is $800. That's about 1600 miles of traveling. But, hey, whatever.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
My, they certainly are proud of their product. I'd have to be desperate to pay that kind of dough.

I priced one out for hauling a Harley. About $600. To easily and safely secure a $20,000 motorcycle inside a $100,000 trailer pulled by an $80,000 pickup I'd say that's dirt cheap.

I only paid a little over $6k for my trailer, but I have routinely had $20k worth of bicycles in it and now add my $15k motorcycle to that and pulled by my pickup that I paid $35k for a long time ago but couldn't replace for less than $80k today and a thousand bucks sounds like an extreme bargain.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
My, they certainly are proud of their product. I'd have to be desperate to pay that kind of dough.

I priced one out for hauling a Harley. About $600. To easily and safely secure a $20,000 motorcycle inside a $100,000 trailer pulled by an $80,000 pickup I'd say that's dirt cheap.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mmaxed wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

They do look a little pricey, but if you are hauling tens of thousands of dollars worth of bikes, a grand or two to haul them easily and safely makes sense.
Well, IMO, it only makes sense if there's no other way. And then I'd still hesitate. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

They do look a little pricey, but if you are hauling tens of thousands of dollars worth of bikes, a grand or two to haul them easily and safely makes sense.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

I think what you'll find with things like this is that American labor is expensive. It could go down significantly in price if they take production to China (and maybe that will happen someday). A fabricated steel product made in USA is always going to be expensive.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"