Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Mysterious Propane "Leak"
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mysterious Propane "Leak"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/22 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A drop in temperature would decrease the propane pressure. The drop is insignificant. During my testing, the temperature dropped from about 60 F to about 50F. Pressure of a gas is directly related to absolute temperature in degrees Kelvin. 60 degrees F is about 493 degrees Kelvin. 50 degrees F is about 487 degrees Kelvin. So the drop in temperature and the drop in pressure were insufficient at only a bit over 1%.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/22 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

A drop in temperature would decrease the propane pressure. The drop is insignificant. During my testing, the temperature dropped from about 60 F to about 50F. Pressure of a gas is directly related to absolute temperature in degrees Kelvin. 60 degrees F is about 493 degrees Kelvin. 50 degrees F is about 487 degrees Kelvin. So the drop in temperature and the drop in pressure were insufficient at only a bit over 1%.

Not to get tooooo far into the weeds, but here’s a temp vs pressure chart:

https://www.propanewarehouse.com/helpful-information/lp-gas-properties/

3 tons

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/22 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, that is an interesting web site. Those temp/pressure tables really do not apply to this topic. They are about vapor pressures over liquid propane, not about temperature changes in pressure for propane in a gas state.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/22 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Thanks, that is an interesting web site. Those temp/pressure tables really do not apply to this topic. They are about vapor pressures over liquid propane, not about temperature changes in pressure for propane in a gas state.

????

PV=nRT.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/22 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Ummmm, "vapor pressures over liquid propane" IS "propane in a gas state." The material BELOW the "propane in a gas state" is liquid propane.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/22 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PV=nRT applies to all gases including propane. I showed the calculations above for the variation in temperature that occurred for my last leak test. Temperature for the universal gas law is expressed in degrees Kelvin. A drop of 10 degrees F was only about a drop of a bit over 1% in Kelvin degrees so the pressure would have dropped by that same small amount.

The tables cited by 3tons are for vapor pressure over liquid and would not apply for a leak test with no liquid in the system and the tank valve closed. The tables are quite useful for other purposes. As we can easily experience vapor pressure of gaseous propane over liquid propane changes greatly with temperature. This reflects a decrease in the rate at which gas can be produced from liquid propane. The tables show a substantial drop in the ability of various sized propane tanks to provide gas for heating or other purposes. The drop is so bad I long ago stopped trying to use a propane BBQ in the winter months.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/22 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the uninitiated, here’s the (above referenced…) ideal gas law, but then again this seems to be delving more into abject nuance than application…Bottom line with gasses remains when temperature goes up pressure goes up (this was my only point…), though I have no idea if this is the true cause of the OP’s particular issue:

https://sciencetrends.com/in-pvnrt-what-is-the-r-constant/

3 tons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mysterious Propane "Leak"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.