cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with trip planning from San Diego to San Francisco

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I live in northern Ca and want to take my 5th wheel on a southern CA coastal RV trip. I'm starting from the SF bay area and I'm willing to make a long, one-day trip to San Diego, staying maybe at Campland on the Bay at San Diego for a couple of nights. I'd like to start north along the coast and maybe stay one or two nights at a couple of locations on the way back north.
Has anyone made this trip and have any recommendations on where to stop over on the way back north along the coast? I know it's crowded down there and will require reservations in advance. I'm thinking my last stop might be Pismo Beach, Avila Beach or Morro Bay. Any tips or suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding your last stop, Pismo-Avila-Morro Bay. Another possibility might be San Simeon State Park near Cambria. The Washburn section is called primative because it has vault toilets and water faucets. Wonderful scenery, Hearst Castle is open again, and elephant seal rookery. Access back to 101 just south of Cambria.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Danlams889, how do you trip and fall into a lake and cause 1000’s of dollars damage to your camper?

danlams89
Explorer
Explorer
There are several options for where to stop along the coast. I would go to Pismo Beach, Morro Bay and Santa Barbara. If you want to make a quick day trip out of it - head to Santa Barbara and enjoy the beach on the way back. It's really fast to get there. And also I would suggest going for a campground with ***Link Removed***. I once had to make an insurance claim when I accidentally tripped and fell into a lake during a camping trip. If it weren't for the insurance, I wouldn't have gotten the thousands of dollars I needed to pay for the damages to my camper. It pays to go prepared.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
Aerbus32 - I just tried to send you a PM but it says "recipient member does not allow private messages".

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
First. That is a long day’s drive. If possible rethink it. Our home base is Murrieta. As with the Bay Area, it’s not just a factor of miles, but traffic. I’d strongly suggest stopping at one of the great parks in Bakersfield. Then accessing SD via 58, hitting SD as early in the afternoon as possible. I would not recommend the park you suggested in SD. Small, cramped sites. It’s a party place. There is a new very expensive place that I would highly recommend. Homeward, take 101, not 1. We prefer Morro over Pismo. Couple of nice private places & 2 great state facilities. If you really want to splurge, check out the new facility in Avila Beach. Reserve all sites now! Finally, I am extremely familiar with the areas you’re talking. Private message me if you like, we’re on the last leg of a 7,000 mile trek. Probably won’t be checking this site again.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I would go south on I5 and on the venture back north, probably 101. Hwy 1 with a big FW wouldn't be good and I definitely would avoid Big Sur. I want to make my stop overs at beach locations. There are many RV parks and campgrounds up and down the coast so I'll do so homework before I make plans. Thanks for the comments.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
If you can make the time-stop at Flying Flags RV Campground, in Buellton, Ca. and than visit Solvang, Ca.- a Danish village. Well worth the time. We always eat breakfast at Ellen's Cafe near the campground and get their Danish pancake breakfast. In Solvang-the homemade Danish pastry is to die for. This is always a definite must stop for us.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lightning55 wrote:
I live in northern Ca and want to take my 5th wheel on a southern CA coastal RV trip. I'm starting from the SF bay area and I'm willing to make a long, one-day trip to San Diego, staying maybe at Campland on the Bay at San Diego for a couple of nights. I'd like to start north along the coast and maybe stay one or two nights at a couple of locations on the way back north.
Has anyone made this trip and have any recommendations on where to stop over on the way back north along the coast? I know it's crowded down there and will require reservations in advance. I'm thinking my last stop might be Pismo Beach, Avila Beach or Morro Bay. Any tips or suggestions?

I recommend taking I-5 south to Hwy. 46, west to 101 to San Diego. I would also try to go through the L.A. area in the evening or very early in the AM and not on the weekends.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lightning55 wrote:

Where are you planning to access the coastal route, Highway 1 or Highway 101? If you are thinking Highway 1, through Big Sur, you might want to rethink that part.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes