cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 89A in utah

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We've never done this one before...now a class A 30 foot with toad. How is it...steep? which we have done just yesterday on 530 in Wyoming/191 in Utah.
13 REPLIES 13

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
We've never done this one before...now a class A 30 foot with toad. How is it...steep? which we have done just yesterday on 530 in Wyoming/191 in Utah.

If you really meant 89A in Utah (the Utah to AZ border crossing route), it's flat as flat can be. Wide lanes and easy as you can get. Now 89A through the AZ mountains and highlands is another story.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to be clearer about which section you have in mind. Most of the comments apply to the steep and curvy part between Sedona and Flagstaff. I suspect though that you are thinking about the northern alternative to US89 through Page. The one that gives access to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. That gets higher than US89, with more grades and curves, but it doesn't have formal restrictions.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, due to road work, the current restriction for awhile in Oak Creek Canyon is 30ft length and 8ft width. I forgot to mention that.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I think signs on the Prescott side of Mingus Mtn say no vehicles over 40'. But i can't confirm.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Desert Captain wrote:
89A through Oak Creek Canyon {north out of Sedona and south of Flagstaff} prohibits any vehicle or combination that is 50' or more... and they enforce it. :C
I would not advise it or 89A to Jerome.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven 89A near AZ/UT border both north and southbound without any problems. We did it with our 36' class A diesel pusher pulling a loaded 18' trailer. We were even lucky enough to find a campsite at Lee's Ferry CG we squeezed into with the trailer connected. Total length of rig is 52 feet. We also did it with a 37' 5er, total length 53 feet.

rocmoc n the Great SouthWest
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
89A through Oak Creek Canyon {north out of Sedona and south of Flagstaff} prohibits any vehicle or combination that is 50' or more... and they enforce it.

:C

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Your subject line "in Utah". So if you really mean in AZ, there are a few sections of 89A.

Fredonia to Jacob Lake to Marble Canyon to Bitter Springs...this is doable, just some long uphill and downhill, going to high elevation of Jacob Lake, several easy-ish curves, probably want to use lower gear sometimes.

Through Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff to Sedona, we don't do it. Includes about 2 miles of fairly tight switchbacks and sometimes narrow road with rock walls right beside road. I actually once saw an RV in this section with it's people holding their ripped off awning. Definitely drive through beautiful Oak Creek Canyon in your car if you are planning time in Sedona/Flagstaff.

Sedona to Cottonwood, no problem.

Jerome to Prescott Valley over Mingus Mountain is a very winding road (on the Jerome side) that I wouldn't do either. Long downhill (or uphill) on the Prescott side with easier curves.

Hope this helps.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a hard copy and I did run it through allstays pro with no great issues.

89A arizona!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I highly recommend purchasing and downloading a digital copy of The Mountain Directory:

The Mountain Directory

It will tell you everything you need to know - not just about that route, but any others you may travel in the future.

Rob

Agree. We carry our hardcopy with us on trips. As another person said, it's only a short distance and is doable. Worse is what follows or precedes it depending on the distance you are coming from, on the "flat" part. It's rolling hills with no way to pass.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Excellent advice above. 89A in Utah is only about 3 miles long. Are you asking about 89 in Utah or 89A in Arizona?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I highly recommend purchasing and downloading a digital copy of The Mountain Directory:

The Mountain Directory

It will tell you everything you need to know - not just about that route, but any others you may travel in the future.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015