cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you sell a relatively new rv and downsize/moneywise?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new 2022 Entegra Vision 27A in February 2022/30 feet. Like a lot of things about it but we also had to do fixes that we should not have had to (leaky drains, front end align, lots of handling stuff, etc)

I am not sure we will keep it for the 10+ years I thought we would. What I do not like is we cannot go anywhere near what our former 24 foot class C can do because we are lower, less nibble...lol. We do mostly boondocking with some paid/volunteer Florida winter time.

We are living in it and will until we decide to sell it. I am thinking we will then go to a truck and trailer....so it will cost us less than what we sell Vision for. Have folks here been able to sell pricey rv's (most way more than ours) themselves? Through consignment? Then take that money and get something else. So trade in is out even if it was even steven which it won't be.
21 REPLIES 21

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
Whatโ€™s with all the super spy drug dealer burner phone stuff?
Itโ€™s ok IF someone returns emails with a call or text timely, but I pass over adds where thereโ€™s no number if I donโ€™t get a response the first time.
Making it difficult to sell is as flaky as flaky buyers.
If youโ€™re afraid to talk to people, trade it in! Lol. Iโ€™m sure the dealer will be nice to you!

I completely agree. I wouldn't buy from a seller who made me listen to a five minute spiel and made leave a voicemail.

When I put up something for sale, about 85% of the deal banter is done by text. Plus the texts help me weed out the obvious scammers. Block their numbers and move on. I like it this way as a seller and I wouldn't play the voicemail game as a buyer.

Everyone has their own dance though. Let your freak flag fly.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Whatโ€™s with all the super spy drug dealer burner phone stuff?
Itโ€™s ok IF someone returns emails with a call or text timely, but I pass over adds where thereโ€™s no number if I donโ€™t get a response the first time.
Making it difficult to sell is as flaky as flaky buyers.
If youโ€™re afraid to talk to people, trade it in! Lol. Iโ€™m sure the dealer will be nice to you!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
No comment on your lack of success, however -
...... best way to sell *ANYTHING*:

Place ad in Craigslist. *NO* e-mail. Leave the VM number (see next).

Get an automated voice mail phone number. (about $8 per month).
Give complete description of what you have for sale, and price.
(The one I use will allow 5 minute outgoing message - I usually only
need about one minute).

Advise callers to leave THEIR phone number if interested -AND- you
will return calls in order received.
This eliminates bogus calls & calls during all hours of day & night.

Use a Tracfone (or other cheap cell phone) to return calls. Only give your *real* phone number to obviously serious callers.

You will know if the price is "right" almost immediately!

Worked for me....
Sold a TT and a Boat in less than 24 hours.
The TT: Placed ad about at midnight. I looked at my calls received list (total of 95!!) at 5PM, the same day. First call had been at 2AM. When returned = the buyer.

TT was a done deal the same evening! Even had calls offering more than asking price (I honored my word as to price I advertised).

Fishing boat: had (only!) 7 calls, same day. - Again, first caller bought it.

BTW - when sold - change outgoing message....To "sold".

:C

I did the same with my TT, put it up on the buy&sell for what I paid for it new on a tuesday evening, wednesday at 1pm it was leaving hooked to another truck and the money was in the bank. I lost maybe a $1K after 3 1/2 years of use. I could have asked for more but I just wanted to get it out of my hair and yard.
If I get the itch to go camping a few times a year, I'll go rent one, at the end of the week, I drop it off and drive away, no maintenance, no headaches and no pile of money tied up.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
No comment on your lack of success, however -
...... best way to sell *ANYTHING*:

Place ad in Craigslist. *NO* e-mail. Leave the VM number (see next).

Get an automated voice mail phone number. (about $8 per month).
Give complete description of what you have for sale, and price.
(The one I use will allow 5 minute outgoing message - I usually only
need about one minute).

Advise callers to leave THEIR phone number if interested -AND- you
will return calls in order received.
This eliminates bogus calls & calls during all hours of day & night.

Use a Tracfone (or other cheap cell phone) to return calls. Only give your *real* phone number to obviously serious callers.

You will know if the price is "right" almost immediately!

Worked for me....
Sold a TT and a Boat in less than 24 hours.
The TT: Placed ad about at midnight. I looked at my calls received list (total of 95!!) at 5PM, the same day. First call had been at 2AM. When returned = the buyer.

TT was a done deal the same evening! Even had calls offering more than asking price (I honored my word as to price I advertised).

Fishing boat: had (only!) 7 calls, same day. - Again, first caller bought it.

BTW - when sold - change outgoing message....To "sold".

:C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcason wrote:
Yes, I noticed new ones for sale less than I paid so I will wait it out.

I ask because we tried to sell a simple $20k pick up truck in our area of NY and it just sat, and sat. We ended up having to trade it in so I don't think a $100k + rv will sell on the front lawn...people don't have that kind of money in pocket...need financing.
Ya never know. As long as the RV will still get used... that sign will get more exposure to the right people when on the road or while camped.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dcason wrote:

I ask because we tried to sell a simple $20k pick up truck in our area of NY and it just sat, and sat. We ended up having to trade it in so I don't think a $100k + rv will sell on the front lawn...people don't have that kind of money in pocket...need financing.

Wait what out? Icbw since spring time will be buying season in NY (unlike the south where itโ€™s opposite) however my money is on buying season being less positive than the economy and interest rates being bigger negatives by next year.
Plus you have to deal with living in it currently. Sounds like that could be more of the reason or inconvenience for not selling.
That said, there basically isnโ€™t a pickup truck out there that hasnโ€™t been worth more money in the last 2 years than anytime prior. And likely in the near future as well. Prices are coming down on trucks too just recently.
If your truck didnโ€™t sell, you were asking FAR too much money for it.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, not sure what kind of deal you think you got on it, but there are alot of them (same model) for sale and the best priced ones are being advertised for not much over 50% of new MSRP.
I'd sell that sucker tomorrow, or today if you can, to minimize your loss any further.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
When I want to sell something I put a sign on it saying "FOR SALE" and park it in my front yard.
If you are driving it around make sure the phone number is on it and large enough to read.

That might work for selling a lawn mower but I would do a lot more to reach the right audience for an expensive RV. I saw an RV near my neighborhood with a for sale sign. It was there for a couple of years.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I want to sell something I put a sign on it saying "FOR SALE" and park it in my front yard.
If you are driving it around make sure the phone number is on it and large enough to read.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure about selling, but I had a great experience buying through a dealer with the RV on consignment. The RV, a truck camper, was very lightly used and just a few years old. I got the advantage of the high depreciation rate of a new camper plus no concerns about repairs or problems. The dealer and I went over the RV in great detail and he charged the seller for every possible issue. In addition I got a 1 year guarantee.

Perhaps you can work out an arrangement with a dealer to both buy and sell on consignment. You will lose depreciation on the sale but gain on buying used. Also I think you will find it difficult to sell and RV you are living in. Others might have more experience as to how well that works.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:

We are living in it and will until we decide to sell it. I am thinking we will then go to a truck and trailer....so it will cost us less than what we sell Vision for. Have folks here been able to sell pricey rv's (most way more than ours) themselves? Through consignment? Then take that money and get something else. So trade in is out even if it was even steven which it won't be.

I like consignment. A buyer can finance much easier through a dealer. They seem to get a premium.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry your question was how to sell. I use Craigslist

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If youโ€™re living in it then it appears you have basically 2 options.
1. Go buy the tow vehicle and then trade in at the (mercy of) purchasing dealer for the trailer you want.
2. Buy both and then can sell the old one at your leisure.

Financially speaking this will likely be expensive, but RV prices are shortly destined to drop ALOT. Better to dump the more expensive unit while prices are good. Lose less money that way.
(Maybe. Depends on what youโ€™re replacing with. And truck prices are also still high but beginning to come down a tad for HD pickups). New 1/2 tons can be had for decent prices now though. But have to find them.