cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Water Heater

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Small trailer with 6 gallon hot water tank.

Am considering, prior to next season, replacing it with a 10 gallon.

Is the difference in size that significant, and has anyone done this sort of thing, who may provide advice or things to be aware of?

Marv
6 REPLIES 6

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Grit dog - Din't ask if anyone thought a larger water heater would fit in my particular trailer. Just wondering if anyone had done this sort of thing before and if they could provide some "guidance/be aware of" input. If someone has done this sort of thing before (and I wouldn't know without asking), they sure would know how much of a project it is to switch out.

Marv

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
marpel wrote:
Small trailer with 6 gallon hot water tank.

Am considering, prior to next season, replacing it with a 10 gallon.

Is the difference in size that significant, and has anyone done this sort of thing, who may provide advice or things to be aware of?

Marv

This does not seem like the type of query to "phone a friend" over.

Noone here would have the slightest clue whether a larger water heater would fit in you RV or exactly how much of a project it is to switch out.
But, I bet you could find the size of one on the internet in less time than it takes to write this post, and then go break out the tape measure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Always curious; why go to larger water heater? More people...longer showers...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I did a repair on a friends 5'ver a number of years back. He had a 10 gallon tank that died in a CG we were both staying in. He bought a new unit at the local RV place and I swapped it out for him.

The tank itself was ok, so I kept it, thinking I would repair it an swap mine out, going from 6 to 10. I wish it was that easy.

As mentioned, physical size difference.

For obvious reasons, the 10 is bigger. It requires a bigger opening to fit in. This requires surgery on the wall of the RV to provide solid framing all around to screw the unit in.

On mine, I didn't have enough extra width and height to make it an easy conversion. I would have had to carve up a partition, do cosmetic repairs and more, so I scrapoed the idea.

However, if you have enough extra width and height inside, and you're willing to enlarge the opening of the outside wall, yes it is doable.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
According to the Suburban manual the 10 gal is about 3 1/2โ€ wider and taller and about an inch deeper then the 6 gallon.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1 you got the room for a 10 gal?