cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waves in the fiberglass - what are they?

DreamComeTrue
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Cougar fifth Wheeler.

It is getting old, I know.

I notice waves (up and down) in the fiberglass here and there.
We just did a big wash on the RV as it gets dirty under trees here on the South Oregon Coast.

I wonder if there is water inside the walls that cause those waves. What else could it be?

I have no leaks that I am aware of, but I do know water between walls can damage flooring etc. My old Alfa slideout floors were destroyed!

We get big storms here on the South Oregon Coast. Have one coming this weekend.
3 REPLIES 3

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
It is delamination of the wall. It could be water intrusion which caused damage to the Luann material in the wall. Or it could be that the glue simply let loose. There really is not a repair for the issue. The laminated wall is part of the structural integrity of the trailer.

If you plan to keep the trailer, the best thing to do is to thoroughly check the roof and all side wall penetrations, such as windows, door, lockers, etc. for leaks. Reseal the trailer and get the leaks stopped.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Called e-lamination. Water in wall. Not much you can do to repair damage. Need to seal roof and edges. May slow down process of de-lam,

Doesn't always mean water in the walls. The front of our FW (under the pin) was like that within 5 years of owning it. We had our repair guy remove it thinking it was de-laminated and yup it was, but not because of water, the cardboard backing came apart. We replaced the entire front part with diamond plate for durability.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Called e-lamination. Water in wall. Not much you can do to repair damage. Need to seal roof and edges. May slow down process of de-lam,

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker