cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has Anyone Pulled New Coax in Roof?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J. A tree branch caught the loop of coax at the base of my crank up antenna and ripped it apart. Only a stub of the coax remains. This coax runs inside the roof, from the roof antenna back to the hallway switch cluster, about 20 ft.

Reaching out to see if anyone pulled new coax for this line? I would love to pull all new coax rather then try to crimp a connector on the remaining stub. But I am worried the existing coax is potted or zip tied.

I plan to wiggle and tug on it and see if I can get any indication of possibility. But I can't get carried away tugging cause I may end up having to use it !!
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you have the Winegard Antenna. Be advised that ALL Winegard Antenna's, the coax from the Wing, goes down the elevation tube. comes out then goes into the mount plate feed. This coax is supplied by Winegard. This coax where it goes into the mount plate is about 12 inches long. It has a F-59 Coax Female with a threaded splice from Winegard. This connects to the OEM Coax that runs from the antenna to the wall plate booster. Odds are, (I have seen dozens of this type accident), the Coax from the booster mount will be able to be fished out either by removing the Inside rotator and elevation handles and looking up with a flashlight. Or removing the topside antenna mount which will give a better access. The force that is applied by a tree limb or such, will pull the F59 splice connector apart. Your Booster to the roof antenna coax should not be damaged other than the F59 is pulled loose. Doug

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
It is also easy and acceptable to run the cable across the roof and drop it in a new hole above the cabinet containing the booster you need to reconnect to. Have done it many times and the cable will last longer than you plan to own the coach. Just use some dabs of caulk along the cable to secure it to the roof and you are back in business in no time.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 for Fish Pole. Also there is no need to run the new coax near the existing coax path. I've been able to run wires/coax in outside walls, inside walls, cabinets, ceiling area, basement area etc. Lights, switches, power plus can provide additional access.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Do not know if this link will help, but it shows a connection between the main coax and the antenna coax.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/2007/07_wire_110138.pdf

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Done it many times. Just pull the vents, lights from the ceiling and you will have holes. I use a fishing pole , something used to pull wiring. will give you a link at the end if you don't know what they are. Don't worried if zip tied. You are running new. If tied it stays. They also make a fish tape

If you can't reach the spot on the ceiling by hand from inside then start off the roof. Just tape what you are pulling or use a string and connect to the rod. On the wall you go up thru the outlet you are using with the pole with a string with a loop. Once it in the ceiling use another pole and go from the ceiling to the pole you have sticking up from the wall with the string and using the hook end on the ceiling pole grab the string and pull it to you. Then tie the string on the cable and gentle pull the string from the wall down and you cable should come with. When I use string, I wrap it a couple turns of tape to help secure it to the pole. Should be some video so you get the ideal.

Pole