cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Tire Worn Out

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve got one of the tires in my TT that is worn almost bald. The other 3 are fine. I’m guessing it is out of alignment/bent. Can this be fixed without replacing the axle??
It’s been 4 years for it to wear out. Should I just replace the tires for and go another 4 years. I’m probably gonna trade in the next year or so.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
12 REPLIES 12

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure half way up the rim on both wheels on the same side of the trailer. . On the forward axle mark the rear of the rim and the rear axle mark the front of the rim.. Do both sides. Measure the distance between the rims. Are they the same.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It took 4 years to wear out the tire (idk how many miles, since years doesn't count, they don't wear out parked in the driveway) and you're planning on dumping it in a year?
Slap a new tire on it and hit the road! Stop overthinking it, IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
KKELLER14K wrote:
Check your shackles and bushings while you're at trying to find the culprit. Have you seen how bad it can get? Things can really wear out...almost dangerous in some cases. Make sure everything is nice and tight. Then take some measurements from the center of the axles on both sides to see if they are lined up. You also might check measurements from the end of the frame (front and back) to the center of the axles also. Process of elimination may take a while but at least you will know where things are.

Thanks for those tips!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
Check your shackles and bushings while you're at trying to find the culprit. Have you seen how bad it can get? Things can really wear out...almost dangerous in some cases. Make sure everything is nice and tight. Then take some measurements from the center of the axles on both sides to see if they are lined up. You also might check measurements from the end of the frame (front and back) to the center of the axles also. Process of elimination may take a while but at least you will know where things are.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had that several years in a row, enough for Les Schwab to replace it free of charge for us. At the recommendation of our RV tech, we took it to get the axles aligned and that was the problem. We were enough out of alignment that it caused this problem.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I’ve got one of the tires in my TT that is worn almost bald. The other 3 are fine. I’m guessing it is out of alignment/bent. Can this be fixed without replacing the axle??
It’s been 4 years for it to wear out. Should I just replace the tires for and go another 4 years. I’m probably gonna trade in the next year or so.

Easy fix for a big rig trailer repair shop.
If the wear is across the tread its most likely a toe in/toe out issue.
If the tires tread has worn on one side it can be a axle camber issue.

Easy fix for for a big rig shop as they simply bend the end of the axle tube back to specs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the same problem with one tire wearing faster than the others. It's not worn nearly as bad as yours, but my problem is I don't know if its been slowly wearing out over the 20,000 miles on the tires, or if I bent the axle on the last trip and it's wearing out fast. I plan on taking it in to a trailer repair shop and having it checked out before my winter trip. A good shop can straighten it back up without replacing it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’ll take a stab since you didn’t describe how the tire was worn and presume it started by wearing either the inner or outer edge first. And yes likely a bent axle or spindle. If it was alignment it would be both tires same axle opposite wear.
And since it’s not been a question for “4 years” this is a silly time to get worried about it especially if it pulls and stops fine and you’re dumping it in a year. Throw a new tire on it and hit the road.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would put one one tire if trading in a couple years.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wowens79 wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Could it be brake adjustment ?

Good question, I had not thought about that. I’ll have to check that.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Depends how it’s worn.
But you’d have to be pretty unobservant to not catch a wheel locking up when you brake.
And not likely to happen slowly over 4 years ( which means nothing but you didn’t state miles ).

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:

Good question, I had not thought about that. I’ll have to check that.

Thanks for that suggestion.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II