cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dicor sealant on my fifth wheel

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may sound like a dumb question but does anyone know of a way to save a open tube of dicor sealant without the plastic tube harding up. I only need a patial amount and don't want to waste another tube. I tried sealing it like you do with the proflex silicon but it
did not work, the plastic tube still got hard. At the price of these
now it is hard to throw away a half full tube. Thanks.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn
8 REPLIES 8

Explorer II
Explorer II
I run a screw in as Doug noted and then seal it in my food saver vacuum sealer. I make the bag extra long so I can reuse the bag several times
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://getairtite.com/

Encloses the whole tube. Air leaks in from the plunger end too. Iโ€™ve only been using it for two seasons, but it either works that long or I got really lucky. Cheaper than a tube of sealant, so Iโ€™m already ahead.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I keep all my rv and non rv sealants in the fridge. They last for years with the open end plugged your favorite way.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dougrainer wrote:
When you cut the end of the plastic tube, make the cut slightly smaller 3/16 than a 3 inch long threaded 1/4 inch screw. Make sure when you insert this screw, you get the top threads coated in dicor. This will seal the tip area. The 3 inch long screw will stop the hardening process at the plastic tip. When you get ready to use again you just unscrew the threaded screw. It will be tight, but will unscrew. In addition wrap the top end with a plastic bag and seal with duct tape. Doug

I do the 3" screw but then I shove it into a rubber/Nitrile glove finger from the garage and tape that to seal it from air.. works also..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the end smaller than a #10 wire used for solar and it will seal the tube for months. have had tubes sealed like that for years and never lost a tube.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug, I will give that a try. I tried
with a short screw and taping the end but did
not think about a longer screw. Thanks again. Jeff
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks for posting this question jjj. And Doug thanks for the reply and steps to help. I'm sure there are many of us on here who had the same question about saving the unused tube and never remembered to ask the group.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When you cut the end of the plastic tube, make the cut slightly smaller 3/16 than a 3 inch long threaded 1/4 inch screw. Make sure when you insert this screw, you get the top threads coated in dicor. This will seal the tip area. The 3 inch long screw will stop the hardening process at the plastic tip. When you get ready to use again you just unscrew the threaded screw. It will be tight, but will unscrew. In addition wrap the top end with a plastic bag and seal with duct tape. Doug