cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

another great trip...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a 900 mile trip to Buckskin Mountain State Park on the Colorado River {10 miles north of parker AZ} followed by extending the trip out to Borrego springs California. The Borrego leg was to attend a birthday bash for a good friend which due to Covid had to be canceled for the last 3 years.

A couple days on the river opened up when I was able to score a gorgeous site at Buckskin Mountain. The river is still a pleasant 76 degrees and with highs in the low 90's made for a delightful late season break. It is a great cg {one of our favorites} but know that reservations are usually a good idea.

Had no need to pull the cargo retailer with our toys so we were traveling unusually light. About 80 percent of the trip was on interstates 10 {basically an 80 mph truck route} and 8 which is a lot more motorhome friendly. I upped my cruise control setting to 68 - 70 while on the interstates and hid out in the right lane for most of the trip. Even at the higher cruising speed the V-10 of our 24' C got a very respectable 9.1 mpg with regular gas averaging just under $4 a gallon.

Jim's place in Borrego Springs is awesome as he has 3 acres right in town complete with two golf holes. It was a large crowd with multiple RV's setting up for the weekend on his property.
BBQ was the featured event with a custom smoker and huge BBQ handling the Trip tips, Brisket and chicken with all of the trimmings.

We had 35 + mph west winds all weekend but it did not dampen fun and a great time was had by all. It worked well to break up the drive west with our side trip to the river and we made the 380 mile return back to Payson AZ in 7 hours with a couple of brief stops on Sunday. Here are a couple of pics:

One of Jim's friends custom built the smoker and boy does he know how to use it. the stack on the right is filled to the top with charcoal and it will burn for 18 hours feeding smoke to the two lazy Susan's loaded with tri tip and brisket:

The "golf course" consists of two greens on the lot he owns across the street. We hit from his driveway from a grass mat. Everybody antes up a buck and closest to the pin wins. Yep, a lot money changes hands... absolutely hysterical!

:B
3 REPLIES 3

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I always enjoy reading your trip reports!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Someone taught you to take wonderful photographs!
Glad your trip was a success.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Awesome pictures, it sounds like a great trip. I almost went to Borrego this past weekend but life got in the way.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup