cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is your secret trick for cleaning your front cap?

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your secret trick for cleaning/waxing your front cap?

It's always difficult to reach the front cap when washing a Class C RV.

I've tried the ladder next to the front wheels, but it's a long reach to get to the center of the front cap.

What do you do to make access easier?
12 REPLIES 12

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hire Schlepp to do it for me. Wax, polish, comes with own tools!

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am using two sturdy ladders with a telescoping aluminum plank between them. I used this at home. On the road, I use a log pole with bug remover on the pad.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a telescoping brush that the handle extends to 6'; that and purple power (or whatever it is called) that contains TSP works perfectly for me.
I wet the surfaces, spray the purple, the brush until most bugs are gone.
Rinse, rinse, rinse. If needed, a spot spray gets the last of the bugs.

Some folks recommend only products formulated for RV use, and fear the TSP based cleaner will remove the finish. I've never had an issue with these cleaners but I do rinse well.
That said, use what you feel is right for you.

I've never waxed any of my rigs, but I keep them clean and out of the sun when not in use. Our Sunseeker still looks almost as shiny as it did when we purchased it new 7 years ago.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Got to give an A for creativity and a F for safety for some of these โ€œsolutions.โ€ Lol
Tie a rope between two step ladders for a handrail? :E

Although it does amaze me sometimes to see how something as simple as a brush on a long stick is tossed to the side in favor of things I have trouble even conceptualizing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the 2 tall stepladder and telescoping aluminum plank method. By carefully positioning the ladders and plank I am primarily leaning into the cab while working on it. Most of the time I wash the cab over with a long handled brush but once a year Iโ€™ll get up there and wax and polish the entire cab.

Now that I am thinking about it, next time I should rig up a heavy rope higher up on the stepladders as a rail.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies.

MButts - I looked at that ladder last year and it was unavailable then, plus some of the reviews were poor. Still unavailable now.

bobndot - I like the front loader idea. But they might be out of my price range! I also like the fabricate idea that you can drive onto to improve stability.

I helped a neighbor today with gutter install. He had a Telescoping Plank. That might be what I try next with two ladders.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I just use a telescoping car wash brush for cleaning.

X2 sometimes the simplest way is the best. Removing bugs becomes much easier if you use a product that cleans and leaves a smooth film { I like BugSlide and many recommend Rejex}. Bugslide comes in a small pump spray bottle making it easy to spray the cabover. Let it soak in for a few minutes and then power spray off the bugs finishing with the extended brush.

To kick it up a notch spray some additional BS on and use your telescoping brush wrapped in a piece of towel to buff it in. By standing on a step ladder at each wheel I can reach about two thirds of the cabover. Our 2012 Nexus has huge bug catching cabover {101" wide with 7' of interior headroom throughout the 24' coach} but these methods have been working for me for 9+ years.

This pic wast taken a couple of months ago... not too bad for 10+ year old coach with 74K miles on it:

:C

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Two step ladders, one on each of hood, then a plank on the ladders over the hood.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just use a telescoping car wash brush for cleaning.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
1-Open engine hood and stand on the support above the grill.

2-Telescoping heavy duty painters pole with a brush head. Wrap a towel around the brush , secure it using string or fishing line.

3- stilts, like professional spacklers wear.

4- fabricate hand trucks without wheels.
Have a welder make you two identical pieces that resemble a hand-truck. Place the blade under each front tire of the rv to hold them in place securely. Build them tall enough to clear the fenders, approx 5-6 ft fall. Then place and secure planks across the hood using the top of the metal hand trucks as your supports.
This is more secure than using two ladders and a cross plank.

5- find someone with a bucket loader tractor. Stand in the bucket. Have him lift you up.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
One of these: Ladder

I made sure it was tall enough to clear the hood of the E-450 when in the scaffold position. The one I bought came with aluminum "planks" to stand on.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Wait for a forecast of heavy rain. Take it out on the freeway, trying to head into the rain, at freeway speeds for at least 20 minutes to half an hour. Works well. Also, try not to drive it in temps above 50F. Bugs like warm weather.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)