cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve stem extension

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Have Tiffin on Freightliner chassis. Took in for service and they performed recall service of removing rear/inner tire valve stem extensions for safety issue. Now I can't get to valve to put air in. Freightliner won't touch it since it was a recall, and my dealer won't touch it since it was a Freightliner recall. Can't find any info on this topic. Any ideas?
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
9 REPLIES 9

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV wrote:

Since millions of vehicles have extensions without issues, you may just want to head over to a truck store and buy a set of adequate valve extensions with decent supports and install it yourself.

But even more millions of inside duals are checked/aired every day, without using extensions.
Most MH chassis are made by same companies that make trucks. I can't see where the profit is for them to buy special wheels, or even valve stems, to put on MHs. Spend the cost of extensions on gauge and air chuck, will last rest of your life.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the recall was due to the (more decorative versus strong) valve stem extensions not being properly supported causing them to hit the wheel. This could result in the stem being sheered off and a sudden loss of air in the tire. For whatever reason, it was easier to remove the extension completely instead of adding new stronger extensions with the proper support to prevent contact with the wheel.

Since millions of vehicles have extensions without issues, you may just want to head over to a truck store and buy a set of adequate valve extensions with decent supports and install it yourself.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ray,IN wrote:
For those seldom times I need to add air to an inner dual tire, I carry a 6" metal extension, I screw it on,add air, remove extension and replace it in my toolbox.
I NEVER run with stem extensions installed.

Most of my air chucks and gauges will reach thru holes in the wheels to check or inflate inner tires.

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those seldom times I need to add air to an inner dual tire, I carry a 6" metal extension, I screw it on,add air, remove extension and replace it in my toolbox.
I NEVER run with stem extensions installed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always used airless, braided extensions on the inner duals. Much prefer airless, the ones that have zero air pressure in them except when you put a gauge or air hose on it. That way, even if it works loose, its not a big deal, because you won't lose any air pressure in the tire.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just bought two from Amazon because one of them leaked after 17 years. There is a very small o ring inside that was dry rotted and cracked causing the leak.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

Be sure to get the rubber grommets to hold the extensions steady for each extension; also I had to stick the grommet in the hole in the rim with some silicone goop.
-jbh-

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Any truck tire shop can install the extended steel or brass one piece valve stem to extend out between the opening in the outer wheel. No need for anything else, easy to access and add a tire monitor or just use your tire pressure gage, simple and not very expensive.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
This must be just a RV thing. Over half century of running duels on all classes 3 to 8, (Even a couple of Freightshakers) never have run extensions, or needed them.