cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Best Run New Coax on Roof ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
A limb caught my crank up antenna and snatched it off the roof. The original coax is damaged somewhere inside the roof and is not accessible. And I cannot pull a new cable inside the roof.

So I plan to run a new coax from a new antenna, run 20 ft down the center line of the roof and adhere with blobs of lap sealant every 12-18 inches. Will drill hole in roof and drop new coax into an electrical closet.

Any tips? Expansion/contraction? Leave slightly off roof between lap seal blobs to allow for water drainage? Has anyone done this before? Comments?

Thanks
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
11 REPLIES 11

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
Usually on a Wineguard antenna there is a connector either right at or just under trhe roof (under a clamshell cover) and the damaged will be the barrel connector.. I wont tell you how bad mine was.. I cut the end off the coax (Both of 'em) Dressed the cables and applied new weather proof compression fittings. new barrel connector.. Strong signal.

Exactly what I had in mind. I see no reason this fix cannot be done without running an entire new line.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually on a Wineguard antenna there is a connector either right at or just under trhe roof (under a clamshell cover) and the damaged will be the barrel connector.. I wont tell you how bad mine was.. I cut the end off the coax (Both of 'em) Dressed the cables and applied new weather proof compression fittings. new barrel connector.. Strong signal.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Horsedoc wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Just because they did not originally have a connector does not mean you could not create a splice and add a connector just below the roof line.
If the roof is only filled with styrofoam you should be able to create a channel for the coax through the styro foam.
Maybe I'm missing something But running a new line across the roof does not seem like the most efficient way to reconnect the antenna.

Tell me how this is accomplished?

I assume there is a piece of coax going to the antenna below the roof line. Cut that coax and put a connector on it. Then get a new piece of short coax and run it from the existing piece to the antenna.
If there is styrofoam blocking the bath use a long drill bit or piece of pipe to create a hole in the styrofoam.
I don't see it as being that complicated.
You don't need a home run all the way pack to the inlet connection.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Just because they did not originally have a connector does not mean you could not create a splice and add a connector just below the roof line.
If the roof is only filled with styrofoam you should be able to create a channel for the coax through the styro foam.
Maybe I'm missing something But running a new line across the roof does not seem like the most efficient way to reconnect the antenna.

Tell me how this is accomplished?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
You do want a secure connection at both ends of the cable ( at least). They make wire ties with an opening for a screw. Use one at each end and maybe one in the middle. This will keep the coax taught and then additional days of Dicor every 2 feet or so will keep it secure to the roof ( no gap) for years to come. I have almost 40 feet of coax on the roof now. Has been there for years.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
On topic
I ran coax from the back of MH to front for same reason. I found that using dicor by its self did not work. For me the coax would not stay flat long enough for the dicor to harden. I ended up getting coax cable clips to hold it down while the dicor dried. I can not remember if the nails that came with the clips were long enough or not. I was not a fan of putting more holes in the roof, however by using way to much dicor I felt safe.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the AC duct in the ceiling to run cable through if reasonably close and accessible.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
TC&Z wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
Seems like we replied to this a few weeks back. Take it you did not want to pull inside. Did you check just below the roof line where the antenna is installed. As stated almost always a connector there so only a few feet to add.

Not a lot to pull on the roof. Point A to B, glue, tape and drill a new hole and seal.

This might help you. Ideal

Correct, I had a post a few weeks back. Wasn't a matter of not wanting too, I can't. The Winnebago motor home has solid styrofoam in the roof. There is no air space. They cut out channels for the wiring harness and air vents prior to being laminated together. This makes it impossible to pull any wiring thru after lamination.

I did check just below the roof line at the antenna mount. I did not find any coax connection. I also checked with Winn Tech support. They said Winn runs a continuous line from the antenna head, down the crank up lift arm, into the roof, down the 20 ft length of roof to the electrical closet. So there is no connection under the antenna mount. The closest connection is in the electrical closet. Thanks though....

Some we can some we can't. You try a splice by chance.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
Seems like we replied to this a few weeks back. Take it you did not want to pull inside. Did you check just below the roof line where the antenna is installed. As stated almost always a connector there so only a few feet to add.

Not a lot to pull on the roof. Point A to B, glue, tape and drill a new hole and seal.

Correct, I had a post a few weeks back. Wasn't a matter of not wanting too, I can't. The Winnebago motor home has solid styrofoam in the roof. There is no air space. They cut out channels for the wiring harness and air vents prior to being laminated together. This makes it impossible to pull any wiring thru after lamination.

I did check just below the roof line at the antenna mount. I did not find any coax connection. I also checked with Winn Tech support. They said Winn runs a continuous line from the antenna head, down the crank up lift arm, into the roof, down the 20 ft length of roof to the electrical closet. So there is no connection under the antenna mount. The closest connection is in the electrical closet. Thanks though....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II