cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strong winds and water heater problems?

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could strong winds cause a overheating problem with the propane water heater?

Winds blowing at 20 to 30 mph directly into heater vent this morning. Water got hot enough to vent out pressure valve. Figured out it was venting because I could hear pump cycling on and off.

Shut heater off. Turned back on. Switch lamp showed over temp lockout.

Water temp over 150 degrees a half hour later, and even after running some cold water through with heat off.

Suggestions?

I'll check heater burner tube and clean when I get home.
4 REPLIES 4

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Check the burner tube for debris. Check the orifice for debris. Clean with alcohol.

Thanks!

After the wind and rain calmed down, and after the tank was flushed of hot water, and completely cooled down, I tried turning it on again.

So far, so good. Heated up with no error code or over pressure venting. Hopefully just too much wind pressure blowing into the flue. Plus wet inside from rain blowing in.

I'll do the burner tube cleaning when I get home.

I'll update after tonight and shower in the morning.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the burner tube for debris. Check the orifice for debris. Clean with alcohol.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
My guess would be no water in tank!
Make sure winter by-pass is not set to by-pass

Plenty of water in fresh tank. We have been doing dishes and showering for three days. Water heater has been working fine till this morning.

Timing started right after our next door neighbor left. He had been our wind block and was protecting us from the strongest gusts.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My guess would be no water in tank!
Make sure winter by-pass is not set to by-pass

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker