cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headlights Went Out

Mvigadi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire. Driving down the interstate at night, last week, both headlights went out at the exact same time. I’m pretty sure that this occurred as I was alternating from high to low beams. Doing this by clicking on the turn signal bar. Made our way limping to a gas station to spend the night. Adding to the mystery was that when I shut down the engine the rear tail lights did not turn off. I had to shut the battery disconnect to get them to turn off. In the AM I opened the disconnect and then pulled the headlight pull-bar to test the lights. Headlights would not turn on but tails did. When I shut the pull bar the tails stayed on until I hit the battery disconnect. I could then turn the disconnect back on and the tails did not turn on thank goodness.

Any comments/advice is appreciated. I’m planning to replace the push/pull light control hoping that this could be that simple of a fix but just don’t know.
6 REPLIES 6

Snow_Birds
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving our 98 Fleetwood Flair the other night. When I put the hi beams on they worked normally once or twice, then my headlights all went black (when switching back to low beam). I suspect the high beam switch is failing. I haven’t tried high beam again until I get this resolved. It’s a Chevy P30 chassis.

I’m also looking to upgrade our old sealed beam headlights.

Any advice is appreciated.

Safe Travels

Jim & Chris Pintchuk

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume a bad ground and the power ended up going through the tail light to ground.
Hard to know without poking at it.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
If ford, most likely a relay, there is a group of 4 relays under the hood, switch the headlight one out for another to test.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ford or Freightliner? Newmar made the MA on both Diesel and Gas chassis. AS crazy as it sounds, you may have BOTH headlight bulbs out. I ran into this years ago and could NOT believe the problem was both bulbs failed at the same time. So, check, the power to the rear of the headlight assbly. IF Ford, and the tailights stay on(headlights would stay on also but not if bulbs are bad), engage the parking brake and see if they go out. If so, it is a relay assbly on the Ford Chassis fuse block. Doug

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if this could be your problem, but one evening my headlights just went out - both at the same time. It actually ended up being a computer board that had gone bad. This was on my 2002 Durango.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
You have a relay problem in the electrical bay under the nose cap. check all relays.. it is the one in the righthand lower corner.. it's labeled

there is also two 30 amp fuses in the same compartment.. that controls headlights.

I've got the same coach ,BTDT too.

OBTW... all other light fuses are in the 0026 electrical box in the rear compartment., under the inverter/charger. little compartment by the wheel well.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.