cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Chevy chassis

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear a lot of discussion about the new Ford 7.3 liter engine but have not heard any about the new Chevy chassis. Has anyone purchased a new MH with the Chevy chassis? On paper it looks to have more HP and Torque.
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Yeah chassis is unchanged. The 4500-5500 trucks got a new chassis a couple years ago. Maybe thatโ€™s what you were thinking of?

There was a great Youtube video on the Express 4500 chasis put out by Chevrolet,showing all the improvements,it has since disappeared. The only thing I could find that may be of help is This One.

But the express vans are riding on the same chassis that is now around 15 years old. Not saying thatโ€™s bad. Just not new or even close to it which is what the op was asking or alluding.
Although they are getting or got the new 6.6 gas engine.
Also I believe both the Chevy and Ford E series can be ordered with the detuned version of the big diesels.
Still has mid 2000s stying from the GMT 800s.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
atreis wrote:
Chassis is unchanged, and didn't really need to be changed. It's a much better driving experience than the Ford chassis, but doesn't come in as many wheelbase variations. It tends to get used mainly for small to medium Class C RVs because of not having longer wheelbase options. The new engines for both are more powerful for the same gas mileage, which is good, but the difference isn't huge.
The Ford has 350 HP vs 401 HP for the Chevy, seems a lot to me. Plus, there seems to be more room in the cockpit for the passenger's feet, and a better ride as you stated. I'm just surprised no one on here has posted that they bought one yet.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Yeah chassis is unchanged. The 4500-5500 trucks got a new chassis a couple years ago. Maybe thatโ€™s what you were thinking of?

There was a great Youtube video on the Express 4500 chasis put out by Chevrolet,showing all the improvements,it has since disappeared. The only thing I could find that may be of help is This One.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Chassis is unchanged, and didn't really need to be changed. It's a much better driving experience than the Ford chassis, but doesn't come in as many wheelbase variations. It tends to get used mainly for small to medium Class C RVs because of not having longer wheelbase options. The new engines for both are more powerful for the same gas mileage, which is good, but the difference isn't huge.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yet both the 7.3 and 6.6 are pretty close in power and both are an improvement over the outgoing 6.2 and 6.0, but not enough to write home about.
Fact is cutaways and bread truck chassis are really not intended to tow much, smartly anyways, in tough conditions. That hasn't changed

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
This might be helpful:

https://www.gmfleet.com/vans/chevrolet-express-cutaway-3500-4500

I'd expect they'd have a 2023 year models listed, but I think this will answer your engine questions.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L