Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Laminated Fiberglass Walls
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Laminated Fiberglass Walls

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/22 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

BCwestcoast wrote:

Have they solved the problem of laminated wall campers coming apart like a cheap watch at the slightest hint of moisture?

Proper maintenance prevents water intrusion.

Any time I've seen a laminated wall delaminate, it's because it leaked.
It leaked because the owner neglected it (translation: didn't do roof inspections / reseal when needed)

Absolutely 100% correct !

I just wanted to re-emphasize it !!

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/22 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

BCwestcoast wrote:

Have they solved the problem of laminated wall campers coming apart like a cheap watch at the slightest hint of moisture?

Proper maintenance prevents water intrusion.

Any time I've seen a laminated wall delaminate, it's because it leaked.
It leaked because the owner neglected it (translation: didn't do roof inspections / reseal when needed)

Absolutely 100% correct !

I just wanted to re-emphasize it !!

there was a rash of manufactuing issues that lead to delamination, but even after that can we realy say its owner neglect. I would put that back on manufctures and dealerships for failing to let you knw how much work is involved in upkeep for fear of losing a sale.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/22 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

some manufacturers have started using 1/4 lauan plywood that is treated to not degenerate when it gets wet.
Example forest river calls it Azdel they use on both inside and outside walls.

Azdel contains NO wood or other organic compounds ! It will not rot !!

Delamination is when the outer skin pulls away from the sheathing underneath. This a failure of the adhesive and is almost always caused by moisture.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/22 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pbutler97 wrote:

3 tons wrote:

Not unlike a 2x4, the advertised 2” wall thickness is merely a nominal figure whereby 2” camper wall thickness is actually at 1.5”, but still good and not to be dismissed…

The premium exterior siding product is made by Lamilux (particularly Lamilux uber glossy 4000), used by Eagle Cap and Adventurer (superior to Filon, especially so of Filon atop luan…).

https://www.lamilux.com/composites.html

Also Azdell is a top-tier composite product totally unrelated to cheap Luan, and is unaffected by moisture.

https://azdelonboard.com/

3 tons

Except although Azdel might be top tier, the panel is laminated together with water soluble adhesives thanks to the EPA so if water gets in there you can still have the same end result, delamination. The only difference is the Azdel will not come apart itself like luan might, and it wont rot. But if the Azdel releases from the foam core or the Filon/Fiberglass releases from the Azdel due to the adhesive failing, you've gained absolutely no benefit.

It sure looks good on websites and sales brochures though, sort of like "4 season", "highest quality", "Amish Crapmanship", etc.

Given the choice I'll take the Azdel but it's not the bulletproof thing that some people think it is. A lot of manufacturers will only use Azdel for the outer substrate and still use Luan for the inner layer (Layer that wall covering is applied to). What does that gain you?

Would be interesting to see some supporting data [emoticon]

3 tons

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/22 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

there was a rash of manufactuing issues that lead to delamination, but even after that can we realy say its owner neglect. I would put that back on manufctures and dealerships for failing to let you knw how much work is involved in upkeep for fear of losing a sale.

I bought a 2011 Open Range that was 9 months old when I got it. it was already delamanating before I got it (I did not know that was what was happening, it looked like a bad saw cut to me).
Bit the manafactures build a POS camper with open cell foam tape for gaskets on all sealing joints, nothing like marker lights is sealed, places where several different materials all mate together in one location (roof rubber, roof edge trim, gutters, plastic rain gutter extensions, fiberglass, etc) and seal it with dycore which last 2 months before it cracks from the dissimilar expansion rates and blame it on the owners for not doing maintenance. typical RV industry reaction. its always the owners fault. And the only thing I see that might have changed some are bragging about using lauan that now don't rot when it gets wet? The quality still is bad. yes I did have a truck camper that really seemed to care and they still did thinks like seal stuff with putty tape so some manufactures still care about customer more than investors. The manufactures need to learn if you sell someone a turd, they might look somewhere else before they buy again".

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Laminated Fiberglass Walls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.