cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire age?

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I want to find the date of manufacture on my trailer tires The brand of tire is Hi-Run and made in China. I know somewhere on the tire sidewall is the year they were made. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
David Michigan
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Agree... Maxxis started in 1967 in Taiwan like I posted above.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Per a wiki says......
"Established in 1967, in Yuanlin City, Changhua County, Taiwan, by Luo Jye. Maxxis Tyres and CST tires are wholly owned subsidiaries of China mfg Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Company.

Maxxis International says their ST8008 trailer tires are mfg in Thailand.

Michelin doesn't mfg a 14"/15'/16' trailer tire but they do recommend their XPS Rib LT (comes in 16" load E sizes only) for commercial trailer service. They work great on rv and non rv trailers with 5k-6k axles.

Maxxis ST8008 trailer tires have had their share of issues also but nothing like many made in china load C/D/E poly carcass tires.

From their own website: "Founded in Taiwan, Maxxis got its start by making bicycle tires ...... "

https://www.maxxis.com/us/about-maxxis/

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

dedmiston
My two top-level thoughts about tires:

1. I could read a tire thread every night to knock myself unconscious, but I'm afraid it would make my dreams smell like rubber.

2. I never argue with CapriRacer about the tire stuff. He's wrong once in a rare while, but not often enough to make it worth questioning his expertise.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Per a wiki says......
"Established in 1967, in Yuanlin City, Changhua County, Taiwan, by Luo Jye. Maxxis Tyres and CST tires are wholly owned subsidiaries of China mfg Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Company.

Maxxis International says their ST8008 trailer tires are mfg in Thailand.

Michelin doesn't mfg a 14"/15'/16' trailer tire but they do recommend their XPS Rib LT (comes in 16" load E sizes only) for commercial trailer service. They work great on rv and non rv trailers with 5k-6k axles.

Maxxis ST8008 trailer tires have had their share of issues also but nothing like many made in china load C/D/E poly carcass tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
...... I've heard all good stuff about Maxxis tires too. My understanding is that Maxxis tires are made in China, but is an American Company. .....

Maxxis is a Taiwanese company.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned above....Goodyear Endurance. I've had Endurance tires on my coach for 5 years now with nothing but good reports. Getting ready to head for Quartzite from Cali soon so I'll replace them mostly for age reasons and not so much tread....though it's pretty close on the tread too. I've heard all good stuff about Maxxis tires too. My understaning is that Maxxis tires are made in China, but is an American Company. Difference is Maxxis has there own factory with there own employees and quality control. Also, it is my understanding that the vast majority of Chinese tires are made in one factory and rebranded to match whatever company is requesting the run of tires. I don't know anything about Michilin Trailer Tires.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing for over 30 years and never had a single flat.
I check the time pressure before each trip and inflate to max psi.
And of course a quality tire like the Endurance.
Stay safe

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I give it one year of RV ownership or two years on the sidewall age max. Not worth the hassle on the side of the road when you want to get some place.

+1 for Goodyear Endurance.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Never heard of Hi Run til now. But theyโ€™re so cheap the Chinese probably wouldnโ€™t even claim them.

Yep, they are about as low-end as you can get for a trailer tire.

Hi-Run are usually found in stores like Tractor Supply, North 40 or other farm-n-ranch type stores, pre-mounted to a wheel.
Or they come installed on low-end utility trailers like what you'd find at Home Depot, Lowes, or the like.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jjj wrote:
I will now go with Goodyear Defenders

Michelin makes the Defender.

Goodyear makes the Endurance Goodyear Endurance on my cargo trailer
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Never heard of Hi Run til now. But theyโ€™re so cheap the Chinese probably wouldnโ€™t even claim them.
Any trailer tire that you can get a 205-75-15 for $62.12 / each, today, when tire prices have skyrocketed recently will probably pop just by looking at it sternly! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
After the Pinto did people stop buying Fords? Michelin tires have given me good service and I trust their product. Yes, imports from China need to be avoided. Dealers/sellers install the cheapest to get their product out the door. I have used Carlisle on my trailers without any issues.

Yeah..... its the Firestone tire syndrome when their Wilderness P tire line was found to be defective on the Ford Explorer/Rangers.
Some wouldn't buy any tire with the Firestone name.

Same with Michelin with maybe over a dozen different line of P and LT tires for our LDT/SUV/vans/cars. All lines aren't bad but just a certain line or maybe a batch in a line that was bad.

And the same with china made tires. They're are a few good made in china ST...P...LT brands...Carlisle HD ST type being just one of them.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjj wrote:
Get rid of those as soon as you can afford it. I never buy China made tires. I even had bad lucky with my last set of tires that were Michelins that had defective sidewalls that now gave me a bad taste in my mouth for Michelins that I always loved, no more. I will now go with Goodyear Defenders that I know several people had good luck with them.

After the Pinto did people stop buying Fords? Michelin tires have given me good service and I trust their product. Yes, imports from China need to be avoided. Dealers/sellers install the cheapest to get their product out the door. I have used Carlisle on my trailers without any issues. Do you check air pressure each trip? Even if it was a week later? A tire looks ok, but is usually down some PSI. That puts strain on the others.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Get rid of those as soon as you can afford it. I never buy China made tires. I even had bad lucky with my last set of tires that were Michelins that had defective sidewalls that now gave me a bad taste in my mouth for Michelins that I always loved, no more. I will now go with Goodyear Defenders that I know several people had good luck with them.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn