cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pahrump to Winnemucca

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to use this direction to head North. I know it is a lonely road but how safe will it be? We have good vehicle and tires on everything. Leaving next May and I think the temps are around 85.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
6 REPLIES 6

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
While taking US95 as far as Tonopah, there appear to be multiple choices from there. Continuing on US95 to I80 may be a bit longer, but stays closer to civilization. It may also have better gas choices.

I have passed through Tonopah, but in a East-west direction, from Caliente to Big Pine. Tonopah was a welcome gas stop since there wasn't much of an alternative in the 200 miles from Caliente.

The most direct route through Austin doesn't look too bad - gas wise. The Champs gas station appears to be an important stop for US50 travelers. It closes at 9 (according to GM), and even has a EV charging station.

I just watched a vlog of a world traveler passing through Austin on US50. Looks like more of a historic mountain town than I first realized. With some history, gem shops, and such.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Being well prepared and traveling with 2 dogs is definitely a priority.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whenever I travel in sparcely populated areas, I always carry 5 gallons of gasoline, extra water and food, and enough blankets or sleeping bags for COLD weather.
You can't be overprepared.
We have helped other families out with food and water on more than one occasion. Last time we were going in Pahrump, we stopped to see what we could do to help out a young man with the hood open on his truck. He had been there for over an hour and nobody stopped. All he needed was a couple of gallons of water for his truck. We followed him into Pahrump to make sure he made it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will not be 85 in May.
Nevada is the most rural state. Outside of Reno and LV there there is not much out there. You have to adjust your thinking. Even for a day trip, carry several gallons of water, a couple of sleeping bags, some food.
Keep your fuel tank at least half full at all times.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Road is good. Be sure to have enough gas. I stayed at New Frontier Campground when I took that route. Recommend it. Winnemaucca.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
The road is fine, just a little lonely.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah