cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Grand Cherokee with Gas Ford V10

Wsm239
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I am not new to towing 4 down but we are considering towing our 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 down with our Thor Hurricane 34B with the Ford V10.

Obviously the hitch is rated for 5,000lbs but the Jeep weighs around that amount too. We would be using a supplemental braking system. I am sure the coach can physically tow the vehicle but is it wise to go this close to the limit? A few years ago we towed a Chevy Cobalt so never had to worry about it.

Are there other considerations/limitations - insurance for example?
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wsm239 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
We tow a 13 Ford Explorer 4WD. Weighs around 5k with 4 bikes and kayaks. Iโ€™ve towed into the Colorado Rockies and in the eastern mountains. The V-10 performs good, a tune from 5 star will make perform great! I towed out west without a tune and in the east with a tune. While the factory program does OK, the tune really wakes it up. You will know you have 5k lbs behind you, but it will pull it no problem.
Always use the tow/haul mode towing or not.

Thanks for the response. I am hesitant to tow that close to the limit to be honest, but figured I should get some others opinions before deciding how to proceed.

Honestly, I wouldnโ€™t think twice about it! The V-10 is more than capable! I have my Ipad set up with Dash Command for real time gauges and trans and engine temp are always right where they need to be and have never climbed much past where they normally sit.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Wsm239
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
We tow a 13 Ford Explorer 4WD. Weighs around 5k with 4 bikes and kayaks. Iโ€™ve towed into the Colorado Rockies and in the eastern mountains. The V-10 performs good, a tune from 5 star will make perform great! I towed out west without a tune and in the east with a tune. While the factory program does OK, the tune really wakes it up. You will know you have 5k lbs behind you, but it will pull it no problem.

Thanks for the response. I am hesitant to tow that close to the limit to be honest, but figured I should get some others opinions before deciding how to proceed.

Wsm239
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Wsm239 wrote:
Hello. I am not new to towing 4 down but we are considering towing our 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 down with our Thor Hurricane 34B with the Ford V10.

Obviously the hitch is rated for 5,000lbs but the Jeep weighs around that amount too. We would be using a supplemental braking system. I am sure the coach can physically tow the vehicle but is it wise to go this close to the limit? A few years ago we towed a Chevy Cobalt so never had to worry about it.

first, be certain that the hitch is rated at 5K.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- The difference between the loaded weight of the MH and GCWR
- The weight rating of the hitch
- The weight rating of the towbar

IMO, I would NOT tow the GC even assuming all of the above will permit you to. The advice I received back in '03 when we started to tow was to never tow at the max limit and instead tow at no more than 90% of max. You could likely push that to 95% and be OK.

And depending on options your GC may come in at >5000-lbs. have you weighed it lately configured the way you would tow it? (stuff loaded in the back, X-gallons of gas, etc.) Don't trust the owner's manual or the sales critter for the curb weight.

good travels whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the response. I weighed the Grand Cherokee this morning - it is 4,800lbs. Next I will weigh the MH in the spring when I get it out of winter storage and go from there.

I do understand your point about towing close to the limit, I was already leaning that way but figured I should get some other opinions too.

Wsm239
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Hitch rating is only one factor to consider. Just because the hitch is rated 5k doesnโ€™t mean you can tow that much. Your documentation should tell you what the GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating is which tells you the maximum weight of MH, contents, and towed vehicle your unit can support WITH supplemental braking. You should get your MH weighed as setup for hitting the road. Full fuel, full water, all contents you plan to take. Do the same for the Jeep especially if youโ€™re going to cram stuff in it too. If your measured weights are under the GCWR you should be ok.

Make sure you adjust the tire pressures on the mh to what the tire manufacturerโ€™s tire chart says is needed to support the weight.

Good info, thanks for the response.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest issues with towing ANYTHING are engine coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature. You need to monitor both.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Wsm239 wrote:

first, be certain that the hitch is rated at 5K.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- The difference between the loaded weight of the MH and GCWR
- The weight rating of the hitch
- The weight rating of the towbar

IMO, I would NOT tow the GC even assuming all of the above will permit you to. The advice I received back in '03 when we started to tow was to never tow at the max limit and instead tow at no more than 90% of max. You could likely push that to 95% and be OK.

And depending on options your GC may come in at >5000-lbs. have you weighed it lately configured the way you would tow it? (stuff loaded in the back, X-gallons of gas, etc.) Don't trust the owner's manual or the sales critter for the curb weight.

good travels whatever you decide to do.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitch rating is only one factor to consider. Just because the hitch is rated 5k doesnโ€™t mean you can tow that much. Your documentation should tell you what the GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating is which tells you the maximum weight of MH, contents, and towed vehicle your unit can support WITH supplemental braking. You should get your MH weighed as setup for hitting the road. Full fuel, full water, all contents you plan to take. Do the same for the Jeep especially if youโ€™re going to cram stuff in it too. If your measured weights are under the GCWR you should be ok.

Make sure you adjust the tire pressures on the mh to what the tire manufacturerโ€™s tire chart says is needed to support the weight.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT