cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to truck campers

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
We have been RVing for the past 17 years. We have owned 2 popups, a Class A and numerous Travel Trailers. We sold our Travel Trailer last month and are thinking about a TC. I have a F150 with the 5.5' bed and Eco Boost engine. Are there any small light weight TC's that will be light enough for my truck without adding shocks or air bags? Anyone have a TC in a truck like mine? Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Macgruber
Explorer
Explorer

It doesn't look like anyone really answered your question. Lot's of opinions but no one that actually owns an F150 with the 5.5' bed and Eco Boost engine.

I have the same truck and almost bought an Adventurer 80RB based on the salesman saying that "lots of people use these on trucks like yours", until I asked him for a reference or two...and he couldn't give me a single one and he said he has been selling them for 12 years.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigSwick wrote:
At least one major manufacturer is switching to all 12V refrigerators for 2023.That is Nu-Camp Cirrus line. They claim it is the wave of the future. They are using 12 Isotherm Cruise 130 refrigerators that draw 4.7 amps/hour. and now have 100 amp hour Battle Born batteries standard, with a 500 amp hour upgrade option (for about 10K)
Maybe the new 12V fridges are different than those of a few years ago?

There does not seem to be any improvement in the past 10 years or so. The Cruise 130 is a relatively small 4.7 cf refrigerator with a Danfoss compressor. A 4.7 amp/hr draw seems about right and matches the efficiency of my 12 year old Nova Kool, also with a Danfoss.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
At least one major manufacturer is switching to all 12V refrigerators for 2023.That is Nu-Camp Cirrus line. They claim it is the wave of the future. They are using 12 Isotherm Cruise 130 refrigerators that draw 4.7 amps/hour. and now have 100 amp hour Battle Born batteries standard, with a 500 amp hour upgrade option (for about 10K)
Maybe the new 12V fridges are different than those of a few years ago?

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
towpro,
I love your post! You covered everything that needed to be stated including camping fees, electric refers and reservations. The three major things I hate about camping now. We actually live in the Pisgah National forest and we see more cars and campers one night camping in a cg than we see in a month where we live. That is one reason I wanted a TC, we have plenty of places to camp here in the forest FREE and do not have to make reservations or try to run a fridge on a 12 volt battery.
mtnman

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
as Grit said, "small very expensive “boutique” mfgs"

We had 5th wheels when we had family, we switched to truck campers when child grew up.

We first bought a light camper with no slides from a famous brand, it was all our 2006 SRW ram could handle.
we bought a dually, which led to a larger camper from same manufacture with a single slide. Hell we had to make mods to our 14,000 GVWR DRW 3500 so it at least road level. (We added Torklift lower stable loads which worked great).
One day I caught my wife as she started to fall out of the back of truck camper trying to open door. that was it for truck campers.
We switched to Mercedes Class C MH. Again, built overloaded from factory. Had to add custom valved Fox shocks and other parts to make it safe to drive.
Than covid hit and everybody jumped in a camper.
It was already tough for us because we had moved to florida where everyone else wants to go for camping. If you want reservations down here you better plan 6 months in advance, but I work full time and I don't know what I am doing next weekend, let along in 6 months.
than our favorite campground, the KOA in Outerbanks went from $80 per night to $200 (just looked up 2023 prices). We can't afford to go camping anymore.

So my dealer made me an offer I could not refuse, and I sold them back my 18 month MH for more than I paid for it.

Some day we might get back into camping, I really like the looks of this one called a 17mke, but it its 22' long where does the 17 come from? it looks to have at least as much room as our MH did (which was much more room than any truck camper we every had) Problem with this model is it only comes with a 12v freg and they still building them with standard lauan plywood, and its not "if" its going to delamanate, its "when".
But have you priced now campers? what I feel should sell for the mid 20K is going for upper 40K right now. No way. I can go on a lot of Cruise ships for that price.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geo*Boy wrote:
What about a Four Wheel brand truck camper?

If you get just a shell model, sure. The Raven base model only weighs 1040lbs. Put in the amenities though and you're into airbag territory.

I get the feeling the OP wants amenities.

Anywhere near rated payload capacity an F150 is saggin'. Even though you're technically not overloaded you would still want to bag it for driver comfort.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 5 1/2 foot bed is a problem. Try one of the simple pop up style truck campers like Four Wheel campers. Some are pretty light with no bathroom and no pop outs.

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an Adventurer 80RB and the guy was hauling it on an F150. Said he had air bags but didnt use them all the time. Said it hauled it fine.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about a Four Wheel brand truck camper?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
A small travel trailer will give you more space and amenities than any TC that will fit on that truck.

Travel Lite does have a new model called "Atom" that claims to be 990lbs dry and has a cabover bed, but does not have a shower or toilet. Your door sticker should give you a payload of around 1700lbs so you'd actually be able to travel with some food and clothing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's, all make good sense and about what I expected. My experience with RV's and weight and towing made me check it out. I think we will go back to a lite weight Travel Trailer?

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I can say is don't do it. You will be over weight really fast. Can you do it, sure. Is it worth the issues and problems no in my opinion.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And yes there are plenty of half tons hauling around TCs.
Your time would be well spent looking at all the mfgs of small truck TCs. The internet makes it so you don’t have to even get off the couch to do so.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Short answer, nope, not really.
Longer answer, shocks don’t increase rear spring rate. Bags, new springs, add a leafs etc do.
Even longer answer is a question. Considering the only TCs that will even physically fit, weight aside, are small pop ups and very small hard side campers. Hard sides most of which available are from small very expensive “boutique” mfgs that make campers they claim are for over landing. The question is, are you good with less space and possibly less features than you old pop ups? For a LOT more money?
If not, then you absolutely have the wrong truck for a TC.
You may find the odd, old 6 pac or similar old dinky hard side for cheap. And little pop ups can be had for $10k+ in nice condition. But maybe think about your wants, needs and how much you love your current truck if you are thinking you’ll find a full featured TC for a mid size truck, that has similar and tires to a micro mini size TT.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold