cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing generator while running

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
How are you guys keeping your generators from walking off while running them next to your rv? I'd like to keep ac on while doing other activities away from the camper. We just purchased a Honda 3200i as a back up to our on board Onan 4000. We've never had an issue with theft but why invite it? Thanks.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Veebyes wrote:
Nobody is running off with a Honda 3200 in a hurry. Takes two to lift the thing.

Speaking of portable gennys in general, if we are not onsite the genny is off & stored out of sight, though the power cable is out which lets any thief know that there is a portable generator around.

There is not much one can do but keep honest people honest. The determined thief will be prepared & have it no matter the chains etc.

The theft of probably 100 generators over the years from 1kw to 6kw, many times right off the back of a truck while running tells me the opposite. A Honda 3k can go 0-60 in under 6 seconds just as easilyโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody is running off with a Honda 3200 in a hurry. Takes two to lift the thing.

Speaking of portable gennys in general, if we are not onsite the genny is off & stored out of sight, though the power cable is out which lets any thief know that there is a portable generator around.

There is not much one can do but keep honest people honest. The determined thief will be prepared & have it no matter the chains etc.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MrWizard
pbitschura wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Lay an empty .357 magnum ammo box on top?

Ammo is expensive. Why give them a bonus when they take your generator?
How about microchipping it? Has anyone tried that?

Cellular Tracking Device
For finding lost or stolen equipment (lojack) for your personal things,
Attach to inside generator between the gas tank and top plastic , not easy too see or remove, remember to replace the battery in the tracker every season,
Use an apple air tag ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I built a slide out tray in a storage compartment, bolted the generator to tray, when not in use, slide it back in lock the compartment, i also have some motorcycle security chain and lock, boron steel square sided links, lock shackle boron steel 6 sided aka hexagon, cannot be cut with bolt cutters, cut off wheel on a grinder will do it, but is slow and Very Loud, too cut it fast you need a cutting torch, before purchasing i watched demos from locksmiths,
Opening the generator and bolting it to sliding storage tray, makes it very secure,
No i cannot run the generator with it locked away in the compartment, that eould be a huge saftey hazard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

How about microchipping it? Has anyone tried that?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Well, I would never leave my portable generator running if I left the RV to go do other activities.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan chain
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
A regular cutoff wheel will make short work of a Kryptonite cable/lock DAMHIK

All one can do is slow the thief down--so they will go to some one else.

I use the same Kryptonite cable through the handle and then through a stabilizer jack. I keep it stored in a Rubber Made bucket with a cover, the cable goes on when it is in the bucket. And the genny is in that bucket all the time, other then when it is running or it is cooling down after running, then goes back in the bucket. And, I roll up the shore line cord.

I "never" leave the site when the generator is running. The genny is unlocked when it is running, but I am in camp then. And when both wife and I take the truck and leave the site, the genny goes back in the truck bed with us in the same Rubber Made tub.

I go by the, out of site, out of mind theory. I do not advertise the genny being left out when it is not running.

And, as was said above, any of this is only going to slow down a real thief wanting it, if they know you have it. If they do not know you have it, as they can't see it, then it betters the odds they will not hit you.

I often see many campers leaving their genny out in the open, shut off, not running, for days on end in the same spot. Their bad luck may run out sooner then mine, I hope.

I'm not sure there is a thief proof way to do this.

Hope this helps

I guess since I live in a place that doesn't require infinite vigilance, protecting against crimes of opportunity are all I'm going to prep for. Thanks.
John

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pbitschura wrote:
I'd bet you have spent some time in Slab City. Ha Ha.

Ha, no! I had to look it up actually!
Never even driven past the AZ state line on I-10 or I-40.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
These are all great suggestions or discussion, but what am I missing about the obvious solutionโ€ฆ.
Use your onboard generator.
Not sure where you camp that backup generator to the generator is necessary. But anywhere Iโ€™d even consider that to be possibly needed would be a VERY remote location which in itself is good site security.

But in the absence of removing the temptation from the equation, the proverbial big ole logging chain and big ole pad lock is your best bet.
Like Michael posted above, most bike lock type cables even the expensive ones arenโ€™t that big nor very hard steel and can be picked away at and cut with small hand tools fairly quickly.
Step up to a real chain like 3/8 Gr 80 or heavier or heavy rigging cable choker if you want to eliminate the tweakers who arenโ€™t even smart enough to have stolen a cordless grinder yetโ€ฆ

What I can tell you is a shiny red Honda 3k genny is right up there with F250s and Toyota Camrys on the tweakers Christmas lists. Unlike some of the rvnet folks who sit around here and say how the cheap china gennys are so great and just as good as Hondas, the โ€œprosโ€, those who are powering homeless encampments and/or hocking them at pawn shops 100% realize the additional value of obtaining a quality generatorโ€ฆlol.
I'd bet you have spent some time in Slab City. Ha Ha.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
These are all great suggestions or discussion, but what am I missing about the obvious solutionโ€ฆ.
Use your onboard generator.
Not sure where you camp that backup generator to the generator is necessary. But anywhere Iโ€™d even consider that to be possibly needed would be a VERY remote location which in itself is good site security.

But in the absence of removing the temptation from the equation, the proverbial big ole logging chain and big ole pad lock is your best bet.
Like Michael posted above, most bike lock type cables even the expensive ones arenโ€™t that big nor very hard steel and can be picked away at and cut with small hand tools fairly quickly.
Step up to a real chain like 3/8 Gr 80 or heavier or heavy rigging cable choker if you want to eliminate the tweakers who arenโ€™t even smart enough to have stolen a cordless grinder yetโ€ฆ

What I can tell you is a shiny red Honda 3k genny is right up there with F250s and Toyota Camrys on the tweakers Christmas lists. Unlike some of the rvnet folks who sit around here and say how the cheap china gennys are so great and just as good as Hondas, the โ€œprosโ€, those who are powering homeless encampments and/or hocking them at pawn shops 100% realize the additional value of obtaining a quality generatorโ€ฆlol.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
A regular cutoff wheel will make short work of a Kryptonite cable/lock DAMHIK

All one can do is slow the thief down--so they will go to some one else.

A cutoff wheel is overkill on these locks.

Funny story, we were at Disney's Fort Wilderness for Halloween this year. We were tent camping and brought our 5.5' x 10' single axle trailer with most of our gear on it. We parked it in overflow parking after unloading it. I ran a Kryptonite bike lock through one wheel and attached it to the frame of the trailer. I figured at Disney it wasn't necessary, but better safe than sorry.

When it came time to move it to leave, I found I couldn't get the combination to work. I hadn't used the lock in awhile, but I did test it before we left and it worked fine. I always keep a set of 4.5" side cutters in my laptop bag and always have my laptop bag with me. I figured I would have to cut each wire strand individually with those little cutters, but I was wrong. I cut through the steel wire like it was nothing. It was actually more difficult cutting through the rubber/nylon coating than it was to get through the wire.

To the OP: Anyone that can get a set of Catalytic Converters off a car could easily cut through a bike lock or chain. Your best bet would be to keep it out of sight and out of hearing range.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)