cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t remove AC cover for maintenance

chast
Explorer
Explorer
The screws that hold the AC cover on—I can’t get one out. When I try to remove it, the female threads, which are under the AC cover, spin along with the screw. Tried penetrating oil, pulling up on the AC cover, and putting a piece of wire under the screw head and pulling up. Before I grind off the screw head to the the AC cover off to oil fan and general cleaning, does anyone have any better ideas to get that one screw out?
chartrue2@aol.com
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/service-support/document-library?docId=3914

Part number 11 is the cover. Part 28 is the front cover. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Cut out the top of the shroud just enough to lift cover around the washer/screw. RVP makes a replacement metal fan cover that has BOTH rear nut inserts. But you can make and install your own bolt and screw kit. Once you remove you will see how to do it. You use an oversize metal plate or washer to cover the hole you cut in the shroud. If up front where the evap cover is, same procedure but it is easier to make a new nut insert kit. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make of A/C and where are these screws
Top of Cover (Coleman does it that way)
Or around the bottom edge.

Suggestion is to drill
Hold drill at an angle (Take extra bits) eventually you will drill the head off and then you can drill out or otherwise remove both the screw an nut.

You can then either anchor the nuts using a product like locktite RED Or replace with Pop Nuts (Pop Rivit company) depending on what and where.

NOTE Coleman ACs SUCK so you may be able to clean 'em without removing cover.

Other makes blow so cover has to come off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
just cut the screw head off.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
With all the screws out but the one can you raise the cover enough to reach inside and hold the inside “nut” with pliers or vice grips? I’m guessing it is some kind of press nut.

chast
Explorer
Explorer
Darned autocorrect!! Last comment was to Krusty NOT RUSTY!
chartrue2@aol.com

chast
Explorer
Explorer
Rusty—tried that. The screw turns, but it also turns the female threads which should be stationary in the AC body. No matter how much upward pressure I apply, both the screw and the threads both turn together.
chartrue2@aol.com

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe a pair of vise grips on the screw head ,pull an turn. small hacksaw and cut the thing off. p.s a idea for the future, drill the steel a bit bigger install plastic inserts for the new stainless screws.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Can you insert a screwdriver or small prybar between the two pieces and gently pry them apart as you are turning the screw?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

chast
Explorer
Explorer
PS—screws are stainless and the female thread is iron and are built in to the AC itself.
chartrue2@aol.com