cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting video on the Cybertruck design & designer

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Informative video with Frank von Holzhsusen, chief designer from Tesla about Teslas coming half ton. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/xTH3Nm_Ca1g

https://youtu.be/xTH3Nm_Ca1g
12 REPLIES 12

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
The only thing I got, is IMO it is not a truck.

Trucks are the way they are for a reason. The standard 8' bed can carry a lot of building supplies. It's popularity many years ago was the reason truck campers were born.

Long live REAL trucks

There are very few 8' beds on the lots at the dealers around here. I would have to special order a F150 to even get a 6.5ft bed. I sold my truck camper 8 years ago but kept the truck I hauled it with. The buyer of the camper told me that he would go buy a suitable truck and return soon for the camper. About 6 weeks later he came back and asked what what I would take for my 22 year old 2wd 8' bed F250 with a gas engine. I figured that it was worth about $3,500 so I told him $7,000 just to get rid of him. I really wasn't ready to sell the truck. But he called my bluff and handed me $7,000 cash. I am going to say the that 8' bed is not standard anymore. Government rules for cars have made them useless for many people so they are turning to "trucks" and their variants to meet the needs of their families and businesses. Since it is illegal now to have kids ride in the bed crew cab trucks and SUVs have taken over. A crew cab truck with an 8' bed is too cumbersome for most people.

I think that Tesla will find plenty of buyers for their truck. The 1.5 million pre-orders support that opinion. And, so far there aren't any electric trucks on the market that strike me as suitable for towing much of a trailer. I think that the Cybertruck is going to change that. Especially with its ability to use a full megawatt output charger designed for the Semi.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@Huntindog and Fish, letโ€™s not bring common sense and reality into peopleโ€™s fantasy. It ruins the mood.
And gets some of our esteemed members here all riled up. Which is certainly not good for their health, especially around the holidays! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
This vehicle was not designed to be a working truck. In the event of crash I wonder what the body repair cost's will compare traditional working truck

I imagine the world will stop rotating and spin off into another galaxy killing everyone? At least that was going to happen a few years back when Ford announced they were going to make body panels from aluminum. It was the end of the world and if you bought one and had a fender bender it was going to cost you ten fold more, enough so to put the insurance companies out of business lol.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
This vehicle was not designed to be a working truck. In the event of crash I wonder what the body repair cost's will compare traditional working truck
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I got, is IMO it is not a truck.

Trucks are the way they are for a reason. The standard 8' bed can carry a lot of building supplies. It's popularity many years ago was the reason truck campers were born. Then the hard working tradesman could use his truck for recreation. The fact that the same camper could fit on any brand truck fueled their popularity.
In spite of all the handwringing that goes on here sometimes over a trucks looks, there really isn't a hill of beans difference between them. They are trucks, not sportcars. Their roots remain grounded in work. And that is why they are superior TVs as well.

Long live REAL trucks
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
The truck is ugly, I donโ€™t care it it has a 600mile range and 400 towing, I wouldnโ€™t want it.
If I was forced to, it would be either a Rivian or Lightning!
No thanks!

I agree, it is gadawful ugly and over. You will see few if any on the road. But a good conversation subject for the bored.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
On the tesla semi pepsi presentation tonight they mentioned that the Cybertruck will be compatible with the semi mega charger. That could be a huge advantage for them. And apparently mega chargers will start to get added to superchargers next year. Kinda cool.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't like how it looks either.

I think the idea was to save money by "stamping" out the body in large chunks.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The truck is ugly, I donโ€™t care it it has a 600mile range and 400 towing, I wouldnโ€™t want it.
If I was forced to, it would be either a Rivian or Lightning!
No thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I dont like is those square fenders.
Wheels are round so why not make fender openings round also.

Plus those overfenders stick out too much,blocking airflow.

Designer has lots to learn yet.

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or........maybe just those that are interested in the truck will discuss it while those who have no interest whatsoever in it will just stay away?? ๐Ÿ™‚

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Oh, boy. This should start an interesting conversation. Probably to be closed in short order. :B