cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting cell antenna on a spring?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a Weboost cell booster antenna on my truck camper. Didn't see any spring in the kit, so I used a rotating mount to lower it when traveling (see below for photo). Forgot to lower it when leaving a boondocking spot and the antenna hit a tree and broke off the mount.

I later found the spring. My question is if I use the spring to mount the antenna in an "always vertical" position, will the spring (probably) stop any antenna damage due to hitting trees, etc?

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
4 REPLIES 4

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I have that antenna and as you can see it's mount on my truck mirror arm now for over 1.5 year and 84,000 miles. In speeds over 70 and a good cross wind it will move in circles and I'm sure it's good intertainment for fellow travelers seeing it. That spring will allow it to move some but not enough if it were mounted where you show it that if you hit a larger branch that it would flex enough not to damage the top portion of the antenna.

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I'd like to be able to lower it when traveling, but I'm an old geezer and goosey about climbing even part way up the ladder to do it. Also, per this post, I don't always remember to lower it. 🙂
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I use Wilson magnetic antennas and yes,I have knocked them off several times..In my opinion,I wouldn't mount one without some kind of spring or give in it for my type of camping..Something has to give when you hit a branch or object with the antenna..My wife always says,your antenna is knocked off and dangling again..lol

I use a Yagi when parked for a while, mounted on an expandable pole.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
having what I think is the same system, my SWAG is "sometimes". The spring is pretty stiff, and it probably will depend on how fast you are going, how stiff the offending object is and if it can snag on anything.

I actually pole mount my antenna and store the pole and antenna in the passthrough and use a flat RG cable section to go through a window into the trailer. Pole mount lets me get about 15' in the air if needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!