cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chassis Ear

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Considering purchasing a chassisEar noise locator but am confused as to which brand or model to get. Also looking to spend a reasonable amount of cash. Is the wireless system better to have than the wired ones? Anyone have one you could recommend?
8 REPLIES 8

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris: After a bit of research I've settled on the Steelman 60635 4 channel chassis ears with wireless transmitters. Haven't had a chance to chase down the best price yet but it's looking like it'll be in the range of $265. I decided on this unit because it is wireless and not the more pricier version which pairs with a cell phone because of transmission issues. I know, my response is brief but I hope it helps you out.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris: the chassis ear picks up vibration via a microphone(clamp) and sends a signal which you eventually hear as sound. That's approximately the explanation.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
SJ-Chris: Will followup and let you know what I find out. Just thinking that shop rates can easily be $150+/hr, an investment in a chassis ear can easily be recovered. I'm also thinking of using this tool for those irritating squeaks and rattles that appear in all rvs. By the way there is also a similar tool called "engine ears".

...and as you point out, having the shop try to "figure out" stuff is always VERY expensive! Rates in the CA Bay Area are ~$200/hr. Even when I drop off an RV with a reasonable idea as to what a problem is, I usually get, "Well, we'll need to spend an hour or two to diagnose the problem"... I do my best to do most of the repairs myself. This forum has been VERY helpful for that!
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
SJ-Chris: Will followup and let you know what I find out. Just thinking that shop rates can easily be $150+/hr, an investment in a chassis ear can easily be recovered. I'm also thinking of using this tool for those irritating squeaks and rattles that appear in all rvs. By the way there is also a similar tool called "engine ears".

Hmmm....how do these things work?? I've got a couple RV squeaks...not engine or brake or transmission related....just "behind me somewhere in the RV while I'm driving" squeaks. Would a tool like this help to isolate/identify WHERE the noise is coming from? I have no idea how this tool works...

-Chris
San Jose, CA

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I too am trying to track down a hard to find squeak. Just learned about chassisEar equipment. Seems like it could be very useful!

I've got a few items still to check/inspect to see if my squeak can be fixed without the need for chassisEars.

I did some googling and quickly saw that there are some that have the microphones connected by wire, and some (more expensive) that are wireless. Seems like the wireless ones might be easier to place/test with.

Let us know what you learn and choose and how they work for you. I'll be following....

-Chris
San Jose, CA

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
profdant: what I'm looking to purchase helps locate and isolates the area where a noise originates so that one can find a problem and hopefully make the necessary repair. The chassis ear does not regulate noise.No I don't have a repair shop but I once was trying to find a very irritating loud whistling noise in my rv that would appear at 55mph and disappear at around 70mph. Chased it for over two years and was ready to sell it cause it was so annoying. Turns out the noise was coming from the drain line in the galley sink which had an empty trap and the vent line for it was making the noise like you'd get when you blow across an empty soda bottle. With the chassis ear I could have found the problem after only a couple of attempts.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going to display my ignorance -- I had never heard of a chassis noise regulator until you posted your question. Unless you runn an RV repair shop, why would you need one of these units?

Whenever you have an odd noise from your vehicle, just do what everyone else does -- turn up the radio and hope the noise goes away! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."