cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ordering F-350 7.3 CCLB SRW - how big of camper can I get?

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I want to order a single rear wheel 1 ton truck for the primary purpose of truck camping with our 2 year old boy - and we hope we can have a second living child. We are looking to use it for both weekend and longer trips. We live in Northern Canada and the truck will be our second vehicle when the camper is not being used (we will probably leave the camper on over summer and off in the winter except if we drive south). Only one of us will commute which means it's not an everyday car to drive. We would like to stick to single rear wheel based on our conversations. We have never owned a truck before.

Here is the build I have made to try to get max payload with 11,900 GVWR which I think will be above 4,400lbs:

F-350 SuperCrew 4x4 8โ€™ bed Lariat with the following options:
-7.3L gas
-4.30 gears
-Lariat UItimate Package
-Snow Plow / Camper Package
-Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank
-400 Amp dual alternator w/ dual batteries
-LED Roof Clearance Lights

We'd like as much space as possible in a truck camper for a decent used price given the small child and desire to have another. I found a 2010 Lance 950S with a dry weight of 3120lbs. It seems pretty ideal, another option would be an Adventurer 901SB or a used Wolf Creek.

What weight camper could I get with this build? Any advice? Thank you.
99 REPLIES 99

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
From dealer "It has been known to cause delays yes. If you do not need the 5th wheel prep pack, this could highly improve the timeframe for the shipment of the vehicle."

I can get 5th wheel prep done later and pay more, the extra money doesn't concern me... Also I am getting $8k off with X-plan... This summer is important to me. I may have to rent or buy an in between truck if delays get out of hand...

See this video: https://youtu.be/UCgqwzFDeXQ?t=1329

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about keeping the 5th wheel package. If you don't need it the next person will and he will repay you for it when you sell it.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
โ€œHopingโ€ for June?
Iโ€™d just go buy any used 1 ton gasser and call it a dayโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
BeMurda wrote:
Thanks, I had the dealer remove the fifth wheel prep package.

Considering this is a one and done pickup, I'd keep the fifth wheel prep package. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't go with a fifth wheel when the family grows.

It also gives you the flexibility to tow other types of goose neck trailers.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
BeMurda wrote:
BigSwick wrote:
BeMurda wrote:
towpro wrote:
BeMurda wrote:
I made the bed length decision quickly. Maximum payload, fuel tank and flexibility.
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Box
Carbonized Grey / Black Onyx
7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Dual Battery / Alternator
Max Recline Seats
???????

Good Luck. I hope you get it quickly. (hope you even get it by next camping season)

Thanks. I have an out if it doesn't arrive by June. It is the quickest job code and highest retail priority code so I'm hopeful. Also gas have been faster apparently. But the Fifth wheel prep package worries me about adding delays. I added it to get the bed 7 pin connector. Maybe I should have just had it installed after the fact. But labour is expensive here in Canada.

On my 2019 F250, the plug cost about $50 online. Plug it in under the bed, cut a small hole and install in bed. About a half hour including time to figure out where you want to put the hole.

I hope I get it by June... eek

Oddly or silly as it might be, in 2017 the Factory 5th wheel harness plugs in near the bumper and is long enough to route under the truck to the front drivers side (one of 6) stake/support channels.

- Mark0.

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
BigSwick wrote:
BeMurda wrote:
towpro wrote:
BeMurda wrote:
I made the bed length decision quickly. Maximum payload, fuel tank and flexibility.
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Max Recline Seats
???????

Good Luck. I hope you get it quickly. (hope you even get it by next camping season)

Thanks. I have an out if it doesn't arrive by June. It is the quickest job code and highest retail priority code so I'm hopeful. Also gas have been faster apparently. But the Fifth wheel prep package worries me about adding delays. I added it to get the bed 7 pin connector. Maybe I should have just had it installed after the fact. But labour is expensive here in Canada.

On my 2019 F250, the plug cost about $50 online. Plug it in under the bed, cut a small hole and install in bed. About a half hour including time to figure out where you want to put the hole.

I hope I get it by June... eek

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BeMurda wrote:
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Max Recline Seats
???????

went with the gas motor eh, let me know how you like it, the numbers are impressive.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
BeMurda wrote:
towpro wrote:
BeMurda wrote:
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Max Recline Seats
???????

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck w the truck!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
BeMurda wrote:
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Max Recline Seats
???????

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
BeMurda wrote:
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Max Recline Seats
???????

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
mellow wrote:
If you want, I could have my wife call yours and have her relate the story of what happened when our rear tire blew out on our SRW with the camper on the back. Either A. she will want the DRW or B. she will not want a TC.

weird when I blew the rear tire, I had to keep driving a mile, slowly pull over to a safe area and change it.. were back on the road 30 min after I pulled over..

Be advised that this should bring up another important topic - How to jack up the truck and change a rear tire with a heavy loaded camper in the bedโ€ฆI found that the jack was worthlessโ€ฆ

3 tons

I still say no matter what jack you use, it is best to put the flat up on block so center of axle is at least as high as normal before putting jack underneath. Jack to clear block, remove flat and block, mount spare. Much less jacking needed, and you know will not do that dangerous "up just a little more" without a wheel mounted.
If using a bottle jack, where you need to be under to operate, this is even more important.

all I had was the one that came with the truck. if your not over your max load it works good. was a little bit of a pain lowering the spair with the camper overhang but not bad.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
mellow wrote:
If you want, I could have my wife call yours and have her relate the story of what happened when our rear tire blew out on our SRW with the camper on the back. Either A. she will want the DRW or B. she will not want a TC.

weird when I blew the rear tire, I had to keep driving a mile, slowly pull over to a safe area and change it.. were back on the road 30 min after I pulled over..

Be advised that this should bring up another important topic - How to jack up the truck and change a rear tire with a heavy loaded camper in the bedโ€ฆI found that the jack was worthlessโ€ฆ

3 tons

all I had was the one that came with the truck. if your not over your max load it works good. was a little bit of a pain lowering the spair with the camper overhang but not bad.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BeMurda wrote:
Order date 12/12/2022
Job 1 / Priority code 10

7.3L
4.30 gears
Lariat Ultimate
Camper/Snowplow
FX4
Clearance Lights
Max Recline Seats