cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directv ??? what are they doing???

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Why all of a sudden, when using a standard 18" oval antenna connected to an R-22 (with HD) receiver, we are receiving HD (720p) programming on channels 202, 229, 254 and 360 plus several others.. No complaint, but have been told that our antenna, receiver, no B band converter setup would only receive 480 programming. When changing channels for example from 206 (480 light in receiver is on) to 360, (720 p) light on receiver comes on and the same is noted on the HD tv it is connected to.. Only several channels do this.. Same thing occurs when using our Winegard GM-1518 antenna when in the rv. The DTV online schedule schedule shows both the 360 FNCHD AND 360 FNC.. Just curious??
13 REPLIES 13

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought...Once a large number of people dump Dish/DTV satellite TV in favor of streaming, and current Internet Providers cannot provide sufficient bandwidth to support streaming... what will happen? Internet providers will have to make improvements to existing distribution systems at a cost of $$$? which will raise the cost of Internet service to the end user?

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
We got the NFL ticket free the last couple of years. As I do yearly to lower my bill I found out You Tube is getting it next year. Bill was lowered but not as much as in prior years. My guess is they will be going the streaming version and dump the dish in the future.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
"Direct TV?? What are they doing???

Easy! DTV is doing heir best to - "direct" you to some other service.

It worked for me!

:W

debrhardt
Explorer
Explorer
you need to upgrade your antenna and receiver. when we got upgraded with directv about 5 years ago, they said that only a few people still had that set-up.
we have since moved to dish for half the price of direct.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The satellite version of DirecTV is a "dead man walking". If Starlink doesn't kill it, expanding 5G cell phone service. Both offer TWO WAY communication, something DirectTV can not.

Don’t hold your breath that 5G is a solution… it needs an antenna every mile for coverage which is possible in a large city but you can forget it in rural areas.

5G is just a name for a collection of encoding methods and software stacks, carriers can be everything from 600MHz which will cover dozens of miles to 30GHz which requires an antenna every few hundred feet. It's about 10% more efficient than 4G and has lower latency, plus it allows providers to stitch together many more pieces of separate spectrum. Also one of the big advantages of carrier aggregation for rural use cases is that it can upload on lower frequencies where the low power radio in your phone can cover distance more easily while putting downlink on higher frequencies where the more powerful radios from the cell tower might still be able to talk at your phone. Other than cost and currently some battery drain issues there's no real downside to going 5g. That said much of the early hype was vastly overblown because some of the biggest wow moments for 5g were the blistering speeds that mmWave (20-30GHz) allows, but at cost of poor coverage, building penetration, and insanely high buildout costs. All of that is why the only time most people will ever use it is at a sporting arena or similar venue where the providers expect very, very high total bandwidth usage in a small area and where the limited range is actually a virtue because it allows for lots of spectrum reuse.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

Don’t hold your breath that 5G is a solution… it needs an antenna every mile for coverage which is possible in a large city but you can forget it in rural areas.

Even in cities it can be problematic - we have a cell tower about a mile from our house. We are on Verizon and I get 4 bars of 5G signal in our living room, and it drops to 3 bars of 4G when I walk about 10 feet down our hallway.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
I believe your equipment is HD capable but pretty much everything broadcast on Sat 101 (where the 18" dish and single LNB point to) was SD. Sounds like DTV is now delivering some HD channels off Sat 101. Probably some space was freed up by dropping some SD broadcast channels?
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I'm in rural So California and getting 5g all over the place.

I dumped DTV after 20 years of faithful service and went to Starlink. I find 'smart' programming like YouTube much more to my liking. And the dish was becoming more and more difficult to aim. You don't have to aim a Starlink antenna.

Not once did a DTV representative offer to put me in touch with a tech to try to figure that out.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The satellite version of DirecTV is a "dead man walking". If Starlink doesn't kill it, expanding 5G cell phone service. Both offer TWO WAY communication, something DirectTV can not.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like DTV is switching channel content or something. They have a history of changes of announcements and or changes that may or may not happen. At one time announced a SD cutoff date on 101 that never happened. There are areas with no SD spot beam for locals and their financial situation seems to be headed downwards.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Dunno, maybe they're giving out freebies trying to keep from losing customers.
Makes sense. At home they gave me the NFL Ticket for the season, a movie every couple of months, and a premium movie channel once a year for 3 months.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dunno, maybe they're giving out freebies trying to keep from losing customers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman