cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need battery for house and gen starting?

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about this for my house battery and for starting the onboard generator, $120.

EverStart Maxx, SLA, Group Size 65N (12 Volt/850 CCA)

What do y'all think?

Thanks!
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn
1st timers, brought it home 2022-10-19.
1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye
M-T31-Ford-460, 1994 Ford E350
I may not know what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it!
17 REPLIES 17

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Popular one is ,
Trojan T-105. 225amps.
If you plan to use full hookup campgrounds all the time i would stick with a single 12v batt.

But for off grid camping two 6vโ€™s are nice. Hook two together in series for 12v and 225 amps.

A solar panel of 200-400w would be a good way to keep the batts topped off but for very shady or rainy days the genny has to run unless you drive all day to another place, then your alternator should charge the bank. They might not charge to a complete 100% but being close to that will work.

Depending on how you plan to use your rv, a bank like this will work well if you camp in parks without hookups. You will need a small generator to run about 2-3 hrs. each day to bring the bank back up to full which is 12.6v at rest. As soon as you turn the generator off, the battery voltage will give you a higher reading of 13v plus. It will drop down to 12.6 or so as the batteries rest.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
GC 2 golf Cart battery
Same number through Interstate Battery

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dual 6V golf cart batteries?

Could I get a few part numbers?

Thanks!
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Here is RV batteries from Walmart. You need to determine which one is best for you. If you do little dry camping, a group 24 will suffice.
Everstart RV batteries

IMHO, the price difference between a Marine/RV battery and the same engine starting battery is very questionable. Dual 6V golf cart batteries will start your generator and provide much more 12V power to your RV at not a lot of additional cost.

I think thatโ€™s a good suggestion as long as the battery compartment is tall enough to fit the taller 6vโ€™s. I know i would have had to fabricate my โ€˜entrance stepโ€™ battery compartment to use them.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Here is RV batteries from Walmart. You need to determine which one is best for you. If you do little dry camping, a group 24 will suffice.
Everstart RV batteries

IMHO, the price difference between a Marine/RV battery and the same engine starting battery is very questionable. Dual 6V golf cart batteries will start your generator and provide much more 12V power to your RV at not a lot of additional cost.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s just sticker shock :). I think those batts will outlast an Everlast wet cell. By the time you buy two , maybe three wet cells the price difference becomes diluted.

Quality batteries from a reputable vendor might be a better choice over the box store like Walmart. You need to check your dates to get an idea of how long those big box batteries sit on shelves.
AFAIK, wet cells donโ€™t hold voltage as well while sitting idle compared to an AGM and possibly Si02โ€™s. Wet cells can be depleted down to 12v โ€˜s approx 50% while other batteries can be depleted lower without damage.
That might be something to consider when using only a single coach battery, especially if you have to run the furnace all night. You only have so many amps available to burn.
You probably need to consider the charging time to charge back up to full charge voltage. The more expensive batteries might take less time to charge.

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
THANK YOU!
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog,

As I said "you may not like the price".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
SCADAMAN29325,

I would not use a starter battery for the "house".

An SiO2 could be used in that manner. But you may not like the price.

Lol. At almost double the cost of LFP and 5x as much as FLA?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Everstart RV batteries

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wal mart deep cycle biggest that will fit the box. we don,t dry camp ,90% of the time have hook ups, ours are 4years old sill working fine. P.s any battery needs a little car clean post clean battery check charge WATER .

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCADAMAN29325 wrote:
Thinking about this for my house battery and for starting the onboard generator, $120.

EverStart Maxx, SLA, Group Size 65N (12 Volt/850 CCA)

What do y'all think?

Thanks!
Fine for starting the generator. Not going to provide much power or have a long life living off the grid.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
This one is less expensive AND better designed to be a coach/house battery:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-29DC-12V-845-MCA/20531543?athbdg=L1600

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs