cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Router for Low Cell Signal Rural Mountainous Areas

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We recently camped in the mountains of Alabama at Desoto SP. We had spotty cell signal.

When we got back I called Verizon to confirm they could activate a T1114 router, activation fee was $35 and a $10/mon fee. All is good.

So I bought a Verizon Novatel T1114, an Antenna Gear M39 and a painters pole to put it up in the air. Once delivered ****, I called Verizon to activate it and they reneged and would not activate the T1114 despite their previous commitment. They claim it is no longer supported by their system. That's bunk, my brother has a T1114 and they are continuing to support his.

Regardless, I now must return my T1114 and try to get reimbursed. This despite making sure it was legit, and must buy another router for rural low signal areas, just for Verizon 4G WiFi, no voice needed. My antenna I bought has SMA connectors.

Any suggestions for a good router that has SMA antenna connections, that Verizon will activate?

Thanks
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
15 REPLIES 15

MrWizard
Why not use a cell signal amplifier/repeater, and put the systems external antenna on the pole, i have a Wilson home unit in my RV, its from before 5G, but it works for all carriers on all 4G LTE 3G 2G bands ,my phone on visible, the att aircard i ran before getting my T,-mobile home internet, works for the 4G connection of T-Mobile Internet,
Current models should work with your cell data wifi device,
This way you also have improved cell phone service inside the rv in spotty areas,
And they work while moving , mount an antenna on the mirror or roof
there are members here that have other brands of cellular amps, I'm surprised nobody else mentioned that option,
Mine was really useful on out of the beaches miles from any cell tower
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TC&Z wrote:

So I bought a Verizon Novatel T1114, an Antenna Gear M39 and a painters pole to put it up in the air. Once delivered ****, I called Verizon to activate it and they reneged and would not activate the T1114 despite their previous commitment. They claim it is no longer supported by their system. That's bunk, my brother has a T1114 and they are continuing to support his.

A particular model of device that's been obsoleted from being "newly activated" can still be used if it's already in use on Verizon.
Hence the reason yours can't be activated yet the one your brother has still works.

I had the same problem with a Samsung Note 3 phone. I had it for about 5 years. It worked, but I was ready to replace it. I replaced it, then hated the phone I got as a replacement and got a refund. Verizon could not re-activate the Note 3 because it had been deprecated from their systems. If I'd have left it active, it would still have been functional. They could not put it back in their system. I was SOL.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
An antenna and higher mount is good if you have marginal connection.

If you are down in a deep valley with no signal, you can't boost a non-existent signal.

I'm wondering if when you asked about a specific unit, they were expecting you to buy it from them. So when you came back with a 3rd party unit...not their problem.

PS: Starlink is completely different from cell coverage. It requires a clear view of the sky. So if camping under dense forest, no it won't work. But if you have a clear view of the sky, should work just about anywhere. Not sure what a certain poster is going on about. If you don't test the system before the warranty period then have problems, a good bit of it's on you.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
Interesting but hard to understand. This thread has drifted so far as to be worthless to the OP.
Maybe he'll come back and chastise us for that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
LouLawrence wrote:
Interesting but hard to understand. This thread has drifted so far as to be worthless to the OP.

Yes, and sorry to the OP from my end.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete by poster

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
Is he trying to move a home unit?
Possibly. I've read of some success with that, but personally I wouldn't try it.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Starlink

Really read up on this system. Neighbor just did it and cost is very high. Dead spots are dead spots. He did not get it up and running before his 30 days ran out so he is stuck with a expensive system and is not happy but if he turns it off as in not needed, not the part of their plan where you still pay $20 a month, you have to purchase a new unit. So as stated really READ their contract.

Might add third party equipment read on that also.

Is he trying to move a home unit? If so, that could be the problem. The RV set costs more but can be pit on pause at no cost when you don't need the service. It's now $135/month but only for the months you need.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
OK if I give your info to my neighbor. He seems to be having too many issues.Gene
No problem. It should work flawlessly right out of the box. Has an app too. I got mine in 4 days, no long wait. Most RVers are putting theirs on the roof, but it works fine on the ground.

The only caveat I'd pass along is that sometimes it can take up to 10 or 15 minutes to find suitable satellites. Not all the time, but that can make one think it isn't working, but it is. Be patient.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted by poster:)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Starlink
Really read up on this system.
I have it. No problems except for maybe slow upload speed. Put antenna on ground with clear view of sky, antenna aims itself. Woo hoo. I see many RVs with them, and nobody's complaining.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Starlink

Really read up on this system. Neighbor just did it and cost is very high. Dead spots are dead spots. He did not get it up and running before his 30 days ran out so he is stuck with a expensive system and is not happy but if he turns it off as in not needed, not the part of their plan where you still pay $20 a month, you have to purchase a new unit. So as stated really READ their contract.

Might add third party equipment read on that also.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Starlink