Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best used truck campers for ~4400lbs payload SRW 1T 8' F-350

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first truck camper, used. Looking relatively modern (less than 15 years old) with good construction and power jacks. Are there any models you recommend for this size truck? Any that you think would be ideal?

What should I look out for as a first time buyer? Thank you.
39 REPLIES 39

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
16" 3900-4000 + lb rated tires on OEM 16" 3100-3200 lb rated wheels ?? Time to upgrade wheel capacity also if your carrying that much weight.
Fleet Ford specs show their OEM 18"-20" wheels rated in the 3600-3700 lb range. I would s'pect Ram and GM OEM wheel are about the same.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bedlam
Vision makes 4500 lb rated rims and American Force are 6000 lb. You will want a 245/70r19.5 PR16 LRH tire which will give you over 5000 lbs per tire and are just over 33" tall. That size was the same height as my 275/70r18 I had on my SRW when I upgraded.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
terrybk wrote:

Are there more limitations when you go to 17" and up? Excluding 19.5".

I could not find any sufficient load rated tire for my 2010 2500 Ram with OEM 265/70r17 tires. They were rated at 3200#. The truck itself had put roughly 3500# on the rear axle leaving me short in carrying a loaded 4000# camper. Eventually I became worried enough about running significantly overloaded that I bought Rickson 19.5 rims and Firestone tires, rated at roughly 4000#.

Oh, ok. Interesting.

I’m under our rear tires by a couple hundred pounds with our Bigfoot when loaded. I wouldn’t go any more. Considering the pressures and stress during a bounce they must have a lot of margin but I don’t want to find out where that is.
2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4X4 LB/CC D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you have 17s just get a set of 18 or 20” takeoff wheels for cheap and then you can get every size and load rating readily.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
terrybk wrote:

I could not find any sufficient load rated tire for my 2010 2500 Ram with OEM 265/70r17 tires. They were rated at 3200#. The truck itself had put roughly 3500# on the rear axle leaving me short in carrying a loaded 4000# camper. Eventually I became worried enough about running significantly overloaded that I bought Rickson 19.5 rims and Firestone tires, rated at roughly 4000#.

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Nitto Ridge Grappler are 3970 in some sizes. I might switch to them on my 16" steel rims when I wear these out. There is another one at 4250 but I can't recall the brand. I'll try and find it.

2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4X4 LB/CC D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reality Check wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
mbloof wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
The best used camper is the one that is for sale, is close enough that you're willing to drive to get it, in a condition that you find acceptable, at a price that you find acceptable.

Otherwise you're just limiting yourself to what could be a potentially futile search for one or two specific models that may not meet the above criteria.

*** this ***

+1

- Mark0.

I don't agree with that. I won't buy a camper just because its close, in good shape and on sale, but rather one that works for me with the layout is what matters to me. I would drive farther and spend a little more to get one with a floor plan that I want instead of settling for one that is going to anoy me for years to come. I don;t chace a spicific model but rather floor plan and storage compartment setup. I started out looking at one and saying thats what I want and have since found 4 other brands that have models that are simular so now I am waiting for one of 5 to be on sale when I am ready to upgrade in the fall.

Steve

LOL, soooo, you actually do agree with mkirsch. He didn't say if had to be close... just close enough that you'd go get it.

yes and no, I don't care how far it is, I would drive to florada from canada to get one I liked it if was worth it. I guess the willing to drive part makes that same thing, but the only criteria I have is the floor plan and if it works for us. I bought a old one for cheep, just to see if the wife liked it. few things we don't like now that we have used it but we love having the camper, so now we are looking at a newer one. and don't get me wrong price is important which is why I probably won't end up with a brand new unit, 80-90K here for the artic fox I was looking at, same for bigfoot and northren light.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
mbloof wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
The best used camper is the one that is for sale, is close enough that you're willing to drive to get it, in a condition that you find acceptable, at a price that you find acceptable.

Otherwise you're just limiting yourself to what could be a potentially futile search for one or two specific models that may not meet the above criteria.

*** this ***

+1

- Mark0.

I don't agree with that. I won't buy a camper just because its close, in good shape and on sale, but rather one that works for me with the layout is what matters to me. I would drive farther and spend a little more to get one with a floor plan that I want instead of settling for one that is going to annoy me for years to come. I don;t chace a spicif modle but rather floor plan and storage compartment setup. I started out looking at one and saying thats what I want and have since found 4 other brands that have models that are simular so now I am waiting for one of 5 to be on sale when I am ready to upgrade in the fall.

Steve

LOL, soooo, you actually do agree with mkirsch. He didn't say if had to be close... just close enough that you'd go get it.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mbloof wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

*** this ***

+1

- Mark0.

I don't agree with that. I won't buy a camper just because its close, in good shape and on sale, but rather one that works for me with the layout is what matters to me. I would drive farther and spend a little more to get one with a floor plan that I want instead of settling for one that is going to annoy me for years to come. I don;t chace a spicif modle but rather floor plan and storage compartment setup. I started out looking at one and saying thats what I want and have since found 4 other brands that have models that are simular so now I am waiting for one of 5 to be on sale when I am ready to upgrade in the fall.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

*** this ***

+1

- Mark0.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:

Best response yet. Especially given the lack of civilization where the OP is, lack of having a truck and much less chance of finding anything acceptable or not overpriced on short notice in the middle of the camping season once the OP actually has a truck.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
OEM for my 2018 3500 Ram is 285/60r20. Not sure if 295/65r20 would fit but they would throw off speedometer and shifting by 5%.

It would be a little tight in full lock turns without trimming and/or leveling, but the speedometer and the transmission won’t care.
If you need the tire capacity or want the look they’re doable without much issue.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
OEM for my 2018 3500 Ram is 285/60r20. Not sure if 295/65r20 would fit but they would throw off speedometer and shifting by 5%.