Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Heat pump blowing cold air
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Heat pump blowing cold air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
togue

florida

New Member

Joined: 07/07/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/19/22 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T. Last night the heat pump started blowing cold air (All settings are correct). The gas furnace works, but we're flying home for the next ten days and Xmas eve forcast calls for a low of mid 20's. Any suggestions?

sailor_lou

Connecticut

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/19/22 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RV heat pumps I've seen are only good to around 40 Deg F. Below that you need to run the furnace.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/19/22 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sailor_lou wrote:

Most RV heat pumps I've seen are only good to around 40 Deg F. Below that you need to run the furnace.


Yes, ours only works until just above 45 then it switches over to the propane furnace.


2010 Suncruiser

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/19/22 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Heat Pumps will NOT blow cold air even if the temps outside are below 40 degrees. About 10 years ago, the Heat Pump makers started making the default operation to COOL when the reversing valve system malfunctioned. So, if it is actually COLD air output, your Reversing valve system needs checked and fixed. Doug

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

Full Member

Joined: 09/05/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/19/22 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

togue wrote:

I have a 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T. Last night the heat pump started blowing cold air (All settings are correct). The gas furnace works, but we're flying home for the next ten days and Xmas eve forcast calls for a low of mid 20's. Any suggestions?


Run the gas furnace, or winterize the unit. What was the outside temp?
My Coleman 48004969 heatpump does very well down to 35-36 deg. F.


2014 Allegro 36LA

Blaster Man

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/19/22 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted above, heat pumps aren't much good unless it's not cold outside. We have one and never use it.


2014 American Eagle

LMHS

NM

Full Member

Joined: 06/27/2022

View Profile



Posted: 12/20/22 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suggestion for an easy fix is to turn the heat pump off and leave your gas furnace on a low setting and hope the power doesn't go out while you are gone. Alternatively, place some small electric space heaters near the plumbing, turn them on at a low setting and hope the power doesn't go out while you are gone.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US fulltime since 2000.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 12/20/22 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to replace my current Dometic A/C heat pump last Summer. Had never use the heat output option until this fall. As mentioned, it needed to be around 40+ degrees to do anything. What's weird is that it blows nice and warm for awhile and then when it reaches the right temp if does not shut off but rather blows cold air for a while and finally shuts down. Then, just a minute or so later it starts back up and blows warm again.....repeat over and over.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/22 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

I had to replace my current Dometic A/C heat pump last Summer. Had never use the heat output option until this fall. As mentioned, it needed to be around 40+ degrees to do anything. What's weird is that it blows nice and warm for awhile and then when it reaches the right temp if does not shut off but rather blows cold air for a while and finally shuts down. Then, just a minute or so later it starts back up and blows warm again.....repeat over and over.


Should be the defrost cycle causing that. Doug

LouLawrence

Traveling the US fulltime since 2000.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 12/21/22 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That makes sense but it's freezing in the coach by the time the heat kicks in again. You would think the fan should quit running.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Heat pump blowing cold air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.