cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extend-a-Stay clogging tanks?

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought an Extend-a-Stay knock-off because we're full-time parked. Turned off the valve for the onboard tank. Been here a year, everything is going good, then all of the sudden one of the 20lb tanks won't work. Put it on our other RV, it's fine. Figured it was a bad tank, drew an X on it to remember to exchange it when it's empty.

Then it happened again.

And again and again.

Six times.

Not every time though. Currently have on a tank that's working just fine. In between the six times it happened, several tanks could be counted on to work just fine. (We have 13 total.)

What might I look at to troubleshoot this? Is it possible to stick a wire in the tanks to unstick them or is that a bad idea? Again, they work on the second RV.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
11 REPLIES 11

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oops, I definitely should have mentioned the big RV has emergency leak-stopping valves... sorry, didn't occur to me when posting. That might? have been the cause all along, together with fast opening the valves. Very relevant to this problem and is the most likely cause.

I had to change the hose anyway, it was leaking. I've not yet had a chance to test the old "failed" tanks but will try to remember to update this thread when I do.

Going to crack open the valves slowwwwwwwwwwwly from now on.
God bless!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had so much trouble with those flow limiters, in the hose connectors, and I couldnโ€™t figure out any rhyme or reason why they would often slam shut. It didnโ€™t matter how slowly I opened the tanks. I finally drilled out the spring and ball out of those connectors and replace them with swag lock check valves and I never have trouble with that **** anymore. The check valves keep gas from blowing out of the hose when theyโ€™re not connected to a tank and thatโ€™s my biggest concern. Craig.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two thoughts
One is addressed above.. Modern tanks have an "Excess flow" sensor that shuts off gas flow if it flows too fast.. OPEN the valve very slowly when you hear gas flow...... Stop. then when you no longer hear open farther till full open.

The other thing is the ACME valve has a "missing hose" shut off as well.. On this ifthe coupler does not depress the pin.... No flow You night need new hose

Modern "You need to be protected" stuff is .. Well.. Safer.. But can be a Pain in the operation.

I used several different tanks with my Extend-a-stay.. No tribble at all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
It sounds like you are opening the tank valve too quickly. That can result in no flow if the emergency shutdown is activated by a high initial flow.

While I was topping off the tanks today, an old timer overheard my question and he said exactly the same thing. Iโ€™m gonna try the old โ€œfailedโ€ tanks again with a slower open. Thanks.
God bless!

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might be the hose.

I once had replaced a short LP hose on my popup with one from a hardware store. It worked fine for several months. Then one day the tank stopped working. I assumed it was empty, although it felt full to me. So I switched over to my backup tank. I took the "empty" one to a refill station that close to the entrance of the campground we were in. Turned out they were a big distributor for the area. So when the guy filling tanks looked at mine and said it was full, he picked it up and took it back to the techs in their shop, with me in tow. They hooked up my tank to a test burner and it was fine. Then they asked me a lot of questions. Sent me back to my camper to bring back the hose. They ran a scope into the hose and showed me how the interior walls were breaking down and falling apart. The hose was clogged with bits of hose and goo. But it didn't leak. They built me two new hoses (yes, "built", I watched them do it) for less than I bought the bad one for and sent me on my way. I never knew an LP hose could degrade like that one did. Since then, I had one other hose get clogged with "goo" and junk. According the guy from the propane shop, the oil in "dirty" propane can cause hoses, fittings and burners to clog up.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps the hose allows too sudden flow of propane, and the valve shuts it off. But IMO, if the tanks work on the other RV just fine, and not on this one, I'd be looking at the difference between the two RV's. The hose and adapter would be first on the list.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like you are opening the tank valve too quickly. That can result in no flow if the emergency shutdown is activated by a high initial flow.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I canโ€™t figure out how it could be the hose if it often works fine. Working today in fact. More often works than not. And no kinks in the hose at all.
God bless!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Just a guess but the hose would be suspect as those can come apart over time.

Trying to unplug something with flammable gas or liquid in them with a wire is not a good idea. IMO

JimR

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be the hose, kinked, defective or the end doesn't open the tank valve assuming it's tight. Oil in the line is also possible.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bad regulator? I just had to replace the regulator on mine and it was only 2 years old. Tech told me it was recalled.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS