cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter question

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm going to remove my battery for the winter, but what do I do about the Inverter ? Do I just tape the wires up and forget it, or do I have to disconnect the inverter to keep from sending power to where the battery used to be?
15 REPLIES 15

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
True enough! My comment was in the context of a portable generator (what I have, though not sure what OP has)โ€ฆ

3 tons

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 tons wrote:
Well looking forward, taping the leads might be a good idea in the event you at some point inadvertently start the generator without having the battery connected (regardless if you mean converter or inverter).

Most builtin generators are started with house batteries, so probably will have batteries installed to start them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
daily double wrote:
No the unit has been winterized and shore power disconnected

Well looking forward, taping the leads might be a good idea in the event you at some point inadvertently start the generator without having the battery connected (regardless if you mean converter or inverter).

3 tons

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
No the unit has been winterized and shore power disconnected

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
daily double wrote:
So I'm going to remove my battery for the winter, but what do I do about the Inverter ? Do I just tape the wires up and forget it, or do I have to disconnect the inverter to keep from sending power to where the battery used to be?

So, are we to โ€˜assumeโ€™ that the RV will be stored with shore power connected??

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And I think youโ€™re confusing inverter from converter or ????
Converter = charger/DC power supply converter from AC source (plugged in)
Inverter pulls power from DC source, battery or converter if plugged in and turns it to AC power.
If youโ€™re implying youโ€™re leaving the camper plugged in and wanting to pull the LFP battery due to cold, that is a bad move. You want/need a battery in the circuit If youโ€™re leaving the camper hooked up for whatever reason.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If itโ€™s a LFP, just disconnect it if you have any parasitic discharge and donโ€™t worry about visiting it until spring. No need to float or trickle charge and sitting in cold temps wonโ€™t harm it.
Done deal.
You can remove it as well. But donโ€™t try to float it or keep it โ€œtopped off.โ€
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MitchF150 wrote:
Kinda confused on your question, but that's not unusual for me.. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are plugged in and it's sending some charge to the battery (any style of battery), won't that keep it 'warm' or at least a steady 13+v, even on "float"?

If you not plugged in, then just remove the battery and there should be no power to the rig at all, correct?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

doing that to an Li may turn it into an expensive door stop.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You sure you don't mean converter?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kinda confused on your question, but that's not unusual for me.. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are plugged in and it's sending some charge to the battery (any style of battery), won't that keep it 'warm' or at least a steady 13+v, even on "float"?

If you not plugged in, then just remove the battery and there should be no power to the rig at all, correct?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I am removing because it's lithium and I don't have any way of heating it.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just an inverter then just let the wires hang. If it's an inverter / charger you need ti disconnect it from AC power.
If you have access to AC power you may as well leave the battery and let it float charge.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends. Is the RV plugged in? What is the make and model of the inverter?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Leave the inverter alone.

Why are you removing the battery?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.