cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Salem, Oregon to West Valley City, Utah?

Robin_W_
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to take my very old but new to me TT to visit my sister for her birthday Feb. 7th. I've never pulled a TT before, so I would like to know the EASIEST route, not the quickest. I currently live in this trailer, so plants, knick-knacks, wall hangings, small appliances, and un-fixed electronic devices and such need to be considered. Also, I think it probably needs new/better tires first. Plus, post-Covid I'm working on a SUPER tight budget. I would be pulling an 18' Timberline TT with a '95 Dodge Grand Caravan, which I was told by the previous owners it could do.
18 REPLIES 18

Robin_W_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, "Blazing Zippers"! I actually decided to just send flowers and call her. An actual phone call will still be a first, and it would be safer and much, MUCH cheaper than my other options. I took my van in for a safety inspection, and it would cost more than air fare, hotel accommodations, and a rental car just to get it safe to drive that far! And right now I don't have enough dough to do either, so.... Flowers, a nice note, and a phone call. I'm repairing my van piece-meal, so maybe it will be up for the trip by summer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Robin W, I admire your wishes for adventure----However, in my opinion, leave the trailer for better weather.
I've been over all the routes mentioned on here, and for a beginner, none of them are probably safe for a first timer in winter.
Now, I'm surmising that with a handle of Robin, you might be female---DO NOT let that stop you from becoming an avid RVer!! My bride of over 5 decades is very capable of getting out there and going down the road. We've met over thirty ladies driving class A's to class B vans, so as the gut in the movie said, "YOU CAN DOO IT!"

Robin_W_
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, SteveAE, I had not seen that you responded. I will definitely look into taking out the bench seat, then! Thanks for your awesome advice! I have an inflatable camp mattress; I wonder if it would fit....

enblethen: Thanks, I will! ๐Ÿ™‚

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome story. You are making a wise choice and I hope you have a great trip and reunion.

It's super easy to remove the bench seat(s). So, unless you have a bunch of people going, just take it out and leave it at home as it would be a whole lot more comfortable sleeping on the floor. A big foam pad (or one of those blow up beds) for underneath and a bunch of blankets (or sleeping bags) above and you'll be fine....unless it just happens to be during a rare cold snap.

Don't forget that, if you go over any of the passes (almost impossible not to), you will need to have tire chains for the front tires along just in case. If you get them at Les Schwab, they are more expensive, but you can return them if not used (just don't lose the receipt!). Or just get them at Walmart as they are probably a lot less expensive than Schwab.

Hwy 20 east to I84 would be the quickest and shortest route. About 3 hours to Bend and then another 12 hours from Bend to SLC (have driven it sooo many times). Tons of good places to stay along that route too.

Safe travels and Happy Birthday.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Be safe! have a good visit!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Robin_W_
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, these are ALL informative and very helpful! Thank you ALL!!! I wish I could reply individually, but I don't see a button for that....

I believe I will just try driving it in my van, sleeping on the bench seat in the back. After all, it's only for a week. But I do feel like I have to make this trip. This is a sister I never knew I had, but always missed, growing up like an only child. We met through Ancestry.com a few years ago, and since then we've built a relationship through social media chats and text messaging, though we're both too shy to have tried a phone call yet. This will be a surprise visit for her 50th birthday, and, as an element of our unique situation, I will also still be 50 at that time! It's the perfect setting for us to finally meet each other in person! ๐Ÿ™‚ I just wish our birthdays were in the summer.... Lol

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
I too don't want to be Debbie Downer, but I would just drive to UT and leave the TT in Salem. But if you want to tow the TT maybe you drag somewhere for a week-end trip and see how the TV does and how you do. As far a route I would take US 20 thru Bend to Ontario then the freeway into Utah. Just my .02. Good luck on whatever you do.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Columbia River gorge could be very windy.
Santiam Pass would be easier to go over then going up Cabbage Hill into the Blues. There are two other fairly healthy climbs in the Blues.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the first part of the trip, locals, your friends and neighbors probably can give better advice than us - they can see your rig, and have driven the route(s) many times. Local news will also tell you a lot about pass conditions. There's also the State `Tripcheck` website.

Going east on 22/Santiam Pass is mostly uphill, peaking at 4600 ft, and only dropping to 3200/3500 for Sisters and Bend. After that 20 is relatively flat, but remote to Idaho. I84 in Idaho is fairly flat and straight, with a broad pass crossing into Utah.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really, really hate to be a naysayer -- I am a great believer in adventure and taking moderate risks.

But.

Towing an old trailer on slippery winter roads as a newbie is not a moderate risk. Ironically, the biggest problem is the Caravan -- I have towed a small trailer with a Caravan, and the vehicle was not suited to long downgrades.

No matter how much I downshifted, the brakes would get hot. The rotors eventually warped.

Taking the van without the trailer would be a lot safer.

You'll have to run the numbers to see if driving is any cheaper than flying.

Good luck, and stay safe.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the group.

I hate to be just another nay sayer, but I tend to agree with others here. Not so much about the route (I wouldn't hesitate to go straight over the mountains, through Bend, and out to I-84 at Ontario), but in the capabilities of your tow vehicle.

I had a similar vintage Dodge Grand Caravan. Great vehicle for bebopping around town and carrying stuff, but not so good for towing. Tow capacity is 2000 pounds and it was about all it could do to tow my raft trailer (about 1500 pounds). My guess is that your trailer is a little over 3000 pounds.

Two suggestions:
1 - Fly to Utah. Between the price of fuel and the extra costs you are going to incur to get your vehicles ready for the trip, plus the possible costs due to breakdowns, it would probably be much less expensive.
2 - Leave the trailer and just take the van. Set up a little sleeping area in the van (either on the floor or build a platform to sleep on with gear storage below you), cover the windows with Reflextix insulation at night to keep it a little warmer inside. Shower at truck stops and go out to eat. We did just that many times.

Best wishes and I hope you get to visit your family.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the posts that discourage your trip. Your safety is far more important than your sister's birthday. Get some experience with your rig (the TT/TV combination is questionable, IMO) and plan a summer trip. I would be hesitant to make this trip even in my 4WD Tiger in February.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Y-Guy
With the weather we've seen lately I'm hard pressed to recommend taking a trip like this considering your situation. I'm inclined to agree with what donkeydew said.

Heading I84 around Pendleton, OR you have Emigrant Hill, commonly called โ€œCabbage Hillโ€ one of the worst stretches of highway in Oregon I'd say. Frequent weather closures along with the semi travel along the highway would make me think twice.

Hwy 20 to Bend/Burns you've got the Cacades, but after Burns you've got a whole lot of nothing - not a good area to have a break down but even worse in the winter months.

I5 South around Ashland, OR you've got Siskiyou Summit then a lot of highway as you head sound once you get to Redding it gets better and less weather issues.

Last thoughts, you're driving a 27 year old minivan and I'm unsure how old your trailer is (the Timberline TT I'm thinking of is from the 70s.) As you've said this is your HOME and you're on a tight budget. You'll need change for both the Van & the TT.

I'd really think twice about this trip during that time of the year.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
send your sister a birthday card and tell her you will see her in the summer.
you have no experience pulling your trailer and will be in adverse weather no matter what way you go
your trailer is not going to be livable in the weather they have in the winter there
sorry but this is not the right time to try this