cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Peeves in RV Parks

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of sounding like an old grouch, lets lay out our gripes about camping in RV Parks. I'm currently on Galvestion Texas for a month. Things were quiet until this truck and old camper pulled in next to me alast night. The guy is a door slamber. A constant door shut niose went on for at least two hours. He has a bunch of kids that were also loud but I can overlook that. Kids will be kids. Why didn' he leave his doors open while he set up. Then there is another neighbor who fires up a truck with loud pipes and lets it run forever. These are my two gripes of the day. Seems like every park you stay in has has the loud truck start up and idle. Part of the problem is sites are so close together. Anyone else?
126 REPLIES 126

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be best to stay home then. :B

Benny37
Explorer
Explorer
This thread sure is special, isn't it. ROFLMAO

I sure hope I never get next to some of you folks at a campground.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Several statements above are correct.

Some people should not have a dog.

Dogs are much smarter than most people could imagine.

A person that has never had a dog, will never understand why others fully appreciate the experience.

Just owning a dog, that lives it's life outside, in a 6x8 pen, just giving it food/water, is not a good experience for dog, or owner.

Like most things experienced in life, you get out of it, what you put into it. Yes, a dog is capable of being your best friend!

Jerry

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
joebedford wrote:
I've been trying to decide which is worse: barking dogs or dog owners who yell at their dogs.

And there lies the problem. It is not the dog that is the problem, it is the owner who really should not have a dog.

You see them everywhere, treating dogs as if a dog were human. It is a DOG. It is not very smart. At best it might be as smart as a two year old human, able to understand basic commands but unable to explanations of why.

Actually the problem is that dogs are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

And as humans have purposely bred dogs to bark warnings, etc, it is really stupid to suddenly expect a dog to not do what we bred him to do.

Rather than yelling at a barking dog, people would find it a lot more productive to: 1) acknowledge that the dog is telling you something; 2) give the all clear; and 3) redirect.

So when the dog barks at a passerby, simply tell the dog "Good girl, you saw that person didn't you. They're gone now. Here, let's play ball."

It's really sad to hear people complaining about behaviors that we humans purposely bred into dogs.

It's even sadder to see people treat dogs as if they are some interactive gadgets that have no ability to think for themselves and are just there to obey commands.

And punishing a dog for doing what the dog has been bred to do is simply cruel.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Once again, a โ€œlikeโ€ button would be a very useful thing.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
I've been trying to decide which is worse: barking dogs or dog owners who yell at their dogs.

And there lies the problem. It is not the dog that is the problem, it is the owner who really should not have a dog.

You see them everywhere, treating dogs as if a dog were human. It is a DOG. It is not very smart. At best it might be as smart as a two year old human, able to understand basic commands but unable to explanations of why.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
While I have 3 dogs, only one is a "camper"; the other 2 stay at home when we go camping. All 3 (chihuahua, Lab/Newfoundland mix, Corgi) are determined to save us from the horrors of the Amazon deliveries. I've been told that it is because they toss packages into the yard; "their" territory, which makes sense.

My "camping" dog is the Cardigan Welsh Corgi who is a rescue of sorts; spent the first 9 months of his life in a dark room in a 3'x4' crate, very seldom being let out or even interacted with, other than to get beat if he somehow got out of the crate. Needless to say, he has some "issues" if you attempt to discipline him. But just yelling at him usually does the trick, although he is very vocal about his displeasure at being yelled at, and has to get the last word in, mumbling/growling under his breath.

On the other hand, he absolutely loves camping, does not bark at other campers or even other dogs. The only downside is that he is convinced that every other camper in the campground WANTS to meet him and pet him and love him!!!

My wife and I would do just that. We also have 3 dogs they go with us. A Papillion and a Havanese a Papillion chihuahua mix. The Havanese and the mixed are rescuse.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
While I have 3 dogs, only one is a "camper"; the other 2 stay at home when we go camping. All 3 (chihuahua, Lab/Newfoundland mix, Corgi) are determined to save us from the horrors of the Amazon deliveries. I've been told that it is because they toss packages into the yard; "their" territory, which makes sense.

My "camping" dog is the Cardigan Welsh Corgi who is a rescue of sorts; spent the first 9 months of his life in a dark room in a 3'x4' crate, very seldom being let out or even interacted with, other than to get beat if he somehow got out of the crate. Needless to say, he has some "issues" if you attempt to discipline him. But just yelling at him usually does the trick, although he is very vocal about his displeasure at being yelled at, and has to get the last word in, mumbling/growling under his breath.

On the other hand, he absolutely loves camping, does not bark at other campers or even other dogs. The only downside is that he is convinced that every other camper in the campground WANTS to meet him and pet him and love him!!!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
There is only one reason - stupidity. :B

That's the short answer. Where the need to wake everyone is I don't know.

By the time you start it, let it air up, move to hook up the toad, the engine will be near right up to temp & ready to have any demand thrown at it.

How many of these diesel owners who think that they are being so careful with their engines, take the time to open up & check all of the fluid levels plus hoses for possible developing leaks, before they start up?

The answer? Very few of them.

Depending on outside temp, the engine will warm up faster, with least wear under light throttle. If you need to build air, you have waited long enough. For my working truck, once the oil pressure was normal, walk around vehicle checking lights and thumping tires, ready to roll across the truckstop.
I don't think any CG is located where would need to be over 1/4 throttle for long enough to be warmed up enough to hit highway.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:

That's the short answer. Where the need to wake everyone is I don't know.

By the time you start it, let it air up, move to hook up the toad, the engine will be near right up to temp & ready to have any demand thrown at it.

How many of these diesel owners who think that they are being so careful with their engines, take the time to open up & check all of the fluid levels plus hoses for possible developing leaks, before they start up?

The answer? Very few of them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
shelbyfv wrote:
Old myths. Modern diesels only need to warm up 3 or 4 minutes and aren't problematic to start. Things were different waaay back. On the other hand, that big throbbing engine may make them feel so frisky they need another few minutes to get on the road.

They would have to be OTR truckers, used to being "frisky" while that diesel is hammering away, beside the truck stop cafe. This could just be an "old myth" too??

Jerry

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Old myths. Modern diesels only need to warm up 3 or 4 minutes and aren't problematic to start. Things were different waaay back. On the other hand, that big throbbing engine may make them feel so frisky they need another few minutes to get on the road.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II